• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Q: Throw a weapon?

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Say a fighter wants to throw his greatsword. No proficiencies, no special feats, he just throws the weapon in desperation. He'll get his BAB + Dex mod + (weapon bonuses) on the attack roll, but is the damage still 2d6 + Str mod or is it something different? 1d4 comes to mind, but I can't recall where I saw it. Thanks for any info.

MythandLore

First Post
Read the PHB p97 under "Range Increment: Improvised Thrown Weapons" and and the upper left hand conner on how thrown weapons can be only thrown with one hand.

Faragdar

First Post
I would say damage is 2d6 + str mod (not 1.5x, as though you made a melee attack). Though it does say damage has to be adjudicated by the DM, I think that's for oddball items that don't have stats in the PHB. Don't forget the -4 attack penalty for throwing a weapon not meant to be thrown. Also, I rule that Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization don't apply if you throw a melee weapon, unless you have the Throw Anything feat from S&F.

daTim

First Post
Throwing a weapon a size category larger than you, medium human throwing large greatsowrd, is a full round action. Dont have my books on me will update if i find the page

EOL

First Post
There's a magic item enchancement which allows you to do this, and I seem to remember a feat along these lines as well. In the Sword and Fist I believe (though I could very easily be wrong).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads