• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick question about Harry Potter and the PoA

Aaron2

Explorer
This is for those who have read the books ...

In the first movie, it shows that Harry has a huge vault full of gold. Why the heck doesn't Harry use the gold to leave his uncle or, at least, give some of it to his uncle so they can see that Harry's parents weren't complete bums?

Aaron

Datt

First Post
I believe because the gold is only good for the wizarding world and can't be used in the real world. It has to do with the whole Wizard/Muggle seperation. For most of the books Harry has been to young to get a place of his own, but then in book 4 or 5 I can't remember which
Dumbledore tells him that his protection from Voldermort is only good as long as he lives with family when not as school. And since the Dursleys is his only living family he has to stay with them.

LightPhoenix

First Post
It is a logical gap in the books.

My thoughts would be that that whole vault of gold needs to last him until he gets out of Hogwart's... he needs to pay all sorts of school supplies, as well as a small allowance for stuff such as trips to Hogsmead (sp?). While his parents certainly didn't leave Harry in a tough spot, neither is Harry rich by any means.

Alternatively, someone else may have some sort of guardianship of the money and account until Harry turns a certain age.

Tsyr

Explorer
Actually the people Harry lived with *know* his parents werent bums. They just refuse to think/speak of it. The rest of the family (afaik) does not, however.

Ranger REG

Explorer
LightPhoenix said:
It is a logical gap in the books.

My thoughts would be that that whole vault of gold needs to last him until he gets out of Hogwart's... he needs to pay all sorts of school supplies, as well as a small allowance for stuff such as trips to Hogsmead (sp?). While his parents certainly didn't leave Harry in a tough spot, neither is Harry rich by any means.

Alternatively, someone else may have some sort of guardianship of the money and account until Harry turns a certain age.
Somehow, I would not be surprised if Professor Dumbledore is appointed the trustee of Harry Potter's estate by Harry's parents.

Crothian

First Post
Aaron2 said:
This is for those who have read the books ...

In the first movie, it shows that Harry has a huge vault full of gold. Why the heck doesn't Harry use the gold to leave his uncle or, at least, give some of it to his uncle so they can see that Harry's parents weren't complete bums?

Aaron

Correct me if I'm wrong but even in England children have to have gaurdians until a certain age. And his aunt and uncle know his parents weren't bums in that sense. They think they were bums because they did magic. And no matter what amount of success was proved in the Wizards World, they would still be bums in the aunt and uncles eyes.

I fail to see the logical gab.

Chimera

First Post
Ahem. Can you imagine if the Durstleys knew that Harry had a big pile o' gold?

They wouldn't be happy with ANY amount they got. They'd want it all. ALL OF IT. And it still wouldn't change the way they treat Harry. They'd consider it due payment for putting up with him.

nick2

Explorer
I think I read in one of the books somewhere that Dumbledore(sp?) has Harry's relative's house magically protected from Valdemorte(again sp?)

Sirius_Black

First Post
nick2 said:
I think I read in one of the books somewhere that Dumbledore(sp?) has Harry's relative's house magically protected from Valdemorte(again sp?)

Yes, that revelation is within the last novel near the end of the book.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Chimera said:
Ahem. Can you imagine if the Durstleys knew that Harry had a big pile o' gold?

They wouldn't be happy with ANY amount they got. They'd want it all. ALL OF IT. And it still wouldn't change the way they treat Harry. They'd consider it due payment for putting up with him.

Exactly.

Also, it's been said* that it's not actually that much. They had a lot of money saved up (which may or may not have been subject to compound interest...I don't think the banking goblins would be big on that), but it's apparently enough to get Harry through school, and maybe a bit after.

Note that Harry has enough sense to not try and purchase anything he really can't afford, like, say, a Firebolt.

Brad

* - One of my friends is a huge Harry Potter fan, and I remember her saying that, though I'm not sure if she saw it pointed out or if it's a JKR quote.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads