Quick question on combat movement

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Could someone clarify this for me please???

If a character is in melee against a creature with 5-ft reach and on the character's turn uses a move action to leave the combat and move to another opponent, say 15-ft away from the first, and then attacks the new opponent, do any attacks of opportunity occur?

I think not, but I want to make sure I'm correct.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Could someone clarify this for me please???

If a character is in melee against a creature with 5-ft reach and on the character's turn uses a move action to leave the combat and move to another opponent, say 15-ft away from the first, and then attacks the new opponent, do any attacks of opportunity occur?

I think not, but I want to make sure I'm correct.

You're incorrect, I'm afraid.

The character is leaving a threatened square, which provokes an AoO.

A 5' step is a special move that does not provoke an AoO.

In the case of a character using the Double-Move action, the space that character begins in is not considered threatened - if, however, they leave any other threatened squares, they are still subject to AoOs.

In the example you've cited, the character is not using the Double-Move action, therefore when he leaves the threatened square, he provokes an AoO.

-Hyp.

Rashak Mani

First Post
The only people who dont get AOO on their head when moving out of a threatened area are those you ONLY move... called disengament if I am not mistaken. If you move and do something else... so sorry AOO on you.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Anytime you leave a threatened square you provoke an attack of opportunity except as follows:

1) If you total move for the round is only 5ft, then the move does not provoke an AoO

2) If you do nothing other than move, or double move, then your initial square does not count as threatened.

Madfox

First Post
The spring attack feat can also create situations in which no AOO because of moving are granted. Spring attack protects only against the one you are attacking though. So in your example the PC with the feat could attack a creature and then move 15 ft away from that creature without getting an AOO from it. Of course, I am assuming the PC has got enough movement for a 15 ft. move in his move equivalent action ;)

Remove ads