• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Reconnoiter

Michaluk

First Post
If you're actively looking and listening for something as you're going (hiding assassins or something) you can do so as a free action instead of a move.

In my games I've ruled that characters can't do this constantly the whole day. Doing so would be strenuous, akin to readying an action for the same length of time and requires appropriate constitution checks.

So if you're in a dungeon, when you enter a new area use it for a couple rounds to see if you detect anything.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Also you'd get a free spot check or listen check if something in the room changed. Suppose an invisible rogue came in the room while you are all fighting some monster. Since everyone else is fighting, and not declaring "I spend my move action to listen to see if I hear invisible rogues" they have 0% chance of noticing. You, however DO have a chance to notice it (however small).

Also, don't forget the +2 Init bonus. IMO, this feat is WAY better than improved init for what it does (keeps you from being surprised in combat, AND gives you better init.)

Felix

Explorer
Let's say I'm a fighter and I enter a room with two rogues Hiding.

They roll 23 and 26 on their Hide checks.

I roll a 18 and a 13 on my Spot checks, so I don't see them, and they get to keep on hiding without me seeing them unless another check is called for; perhaps I moved behind their cover; perhaps I lit a torch and rid them of concealment; perhaps I use a move action to Spot again.

---

Now, same situation with the Fighter having taken QR.

I enter the room and fail my Spot checks.

The next round I make those Spot checks again.

And again the round after that.

And again.

And again.

Until I beat the DC or the environment somehow changes (removes cover or concealment, they move, etc.).

These checks are free actions, with no real time wasted in the Spotting. A great feat for the scout-type of the party, because it ensures that not even one bad Spot roll will mean he doesn't see everything.

Felnar

First Post
epochrpg said:
Also you'd get a free spot check or listen check if something in the room changed. Suppose an invisible rogue came in the room while you are all fighting some monster. Since everyone else is fighting, and not declaring "I spend my move action to listen to see if I hear invisible rogues" they have 0% chance of noticing. You, however DO have a chance to notice it (however small).

Also, don't forget the +2 Init bonus. IMO, this feat is WAY better than improved init for what it does (keeps you from being surprised in combat, AND gives you better init.)
wouldnt the rogue entering the room generate a reactive spot/listen check (no action required) but using the -5 modifier for spotter distracted?

Michaluk & Felix - couldnt any character (without this feat) entering a new area spend a couple rounds "spotting"? what other uses could the characters have for their move actions (like in felix's 2 rogues example)? do these situtations actually come up often enough to warrant choosing this feat (as opposed to improved initiative or any other feat)?

the time saving benefits of feats like improved feint are obvious, can anyone explain why the time saving benefits of Quick Reconnoiter are worth a feat (along with the +2 init)?
it seems even harder to justify getting it if it cant be an "always on" type feature.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Don't know if it is by the book, but my DM runs combats with a lot of guerrilla tactics (opponents striking from cover, striking, then hiding, etc.). He says that we have to use a move action to make a spot roll (or we can use a free action, with a negative modifier from hell).

Quick reconnoiter allows one to make those spot rolls as free actions w/o negative modifiers.

I hadn't thought of "always on" but it makes sense to me. Sort of like a heightened version of alertness (with which this has a nice synergy, come to think of it).

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Our DM is the same. Spot checks are a move action unless he "gives" it to you (i.e. the fighter hits the monster, he gives a spot check to notice his weapon did not get through DR or only half got through, etc).

Felnar

First Post
anyone else care to explain how their group uses the Quick Reconnoiter feat, and how it is/isnt worth it?

much appreciated

DungeonMaester

First Post
It goes very well with another feat in CADV which allows you to make a touch attack on a single blow by making a spot check equal to their AC, which now can be done as a free action. That free action plus Feint as a move action means 10+Deflection bonus and size vrs my Dual strike with Armblades (Modified tonfas if that makes any sense.)

I had a Bad-ass Rogue....

---Rusty

Last edited:

RigaMortus2

First Post
Remember, it lets you make one Spot AND one Listen check each round as a Free Action. Otherwise, you would consume your whole round by doing so (since you would be using 2 Move Actions a round). That said, it's a lame feat unless you have a specific build to utilize it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads