• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Test of TableSmith for PalmOS

MythosaAkira

Explorer
This link is a ZIP file containing two database files (.PDB) and a Palm executable (.PRC). If anyone with a Palm PDA (OS v3 or higher) wants to take a look at it, I'd appreciate some feedback on its peformance. Right now, it's a tad slower than I'd like on my Palm (Zire 71, 144 Mhz, OS 5.2.1), but it's acceptable. I'm curious to see how well it runs on other people's PDAs. In particular, I'd like to find out if it actually runs on OS 3 or 4 (it should, but I couldn't get it to work on the emulator and I don't have access to an older Palm).

Note that the four tables included are just test tables; they'll be tweaked before the final release and should look better (and in some cases, run faster). There will be more tables as well, of course (as well as the ability to import your own).

Thanks!

Chaz

First Post
TableSmith for a palm? wow, I may actualy have a use for a palm now. Cant wait to see this take off. Thanks man. Good luck with it.

Peace

MythosaAkira

Explorer
Plane Sailing said:
I've tried downloading your zip file to test it on my palm pilot, but the zip file is empty!

Ack! Sorry about that! Not sure what I did...

In any case, I've updated the file. This new one actually contains something ;)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Well, it works brilliantly on a Tungsten T3. A 5 element list comes up in less than a second, a 10 element list comes up in perhaps just over a second.

If I can, I'll try it on a Sony Clie N760C, my old PalmOS unit. That has OS 4.x and a much slower processor.

Cheers,

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've just noticed, one thing I DON'T like is the way the application remaps my datebook button to its "roll". Make it available as an option for sure, but please don't remap peoples buttons without asking them :)

Cheers

MythosaAkira

Explorer
Plane Sailing said:
Well, it works brilliantly on a Tungsten T3. A 5 element list comes up in less than a second, a 10 element list comes up in perhaps just over a second.

If I can, I'll try it on a Sony Clie N760C, my old PalmOS unit. That has OS 4.x and a much slower processor.

Thanks for the info! I'd expect the T3 to work well, though I'm curious about something slower.

Plane Sailing said:
I've just noticed, one thing I DON'T like is the way the application remaps my datebook button to its "roll". Make it available as an option for sure, but please don't remap peoples buttons without asking them :)

I completely agree! The app at this point is "pre-alpha"; I'm just testing out the speed of the engine. I'd actually forgotten I'd mapped the button :) (Something I was playing around with with the development software).

Now I should probably think about finishing this program...

MythosaAkira

Explorer
Plane Sailing said:
Out of interest, what language are you writing it in?

I'm using CASL, which is sort of like VB or Javascript, though it allows you to do C as well.

I tried NSBasic, but I actually couldn't get the program to work in it. Never did figure out what the problem was.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Using a 5 element list on a Palm IIIc, OS 3.5;

Angel and Orc names...generated list in 4 seconds.
Inn and Tavern, and Orc Tribes...generated list in 8 seconds.

/grin I guess I can be your "low" end tester...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads