• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Warlock - Hideous Blow question

vrock

First Post
Does using Hideous Blow provoke an AoO? I ran a game with a Warlock in it for the first time last night, and there was some discussion about whether it did or not. Seems sort of useless if it does, but it does say that all invocations do.

brehobit

Explorer
Yeah,
I'm pretty sure the original intent was to not provoke (the author had an FAQ at one point and he answered the question with a "no"). But we play it does provoke. It just means that long spears become a lot more common (or spiked chains for my barb/warlock).

Also, Eldrich Glaive becomes pretty nice as of level 8 (from dragon magic I think).

Mark

UltimaGabe

First Post
Yes, it does provoke. It seems to go against the flavor of the ability, but it's been made relatively clear (it was clarified in a FAQ, and one of the Epic Feats on WotC's website for Warlocks specifically mentions that the Warlock no longer provokes AoO's on a Hideous Blow). You can always use it defensively, though- so it gives the Warlock some more incentive to beef up their Concentration.

Shellman

First Post
The Warlock needs to Combat Cast (cast defensively). As long as the Warlock makes the concentration check, then he doesn't provoke an AoO.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads