• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quickdraw feat usable with shields?

Codragon

First Post
Does the Quickdraw feat apply to shields? Specifically large steel shields?

My guess would be no, since the feat's wording specifically says "weapon". Also, a large steel shield cannot simply be grasped, it must be strapped to the forearm.

Any thoughts on this? I am looking for offical wording (ie Sage Advice) but I can't find it.

My apologies if this has been brought up before.

Kerrwyn

First Post
I would say no. The PHB says that readying a shield is a MEA. But then again, without quickdraw, so is drawing a weapon. I might allow it to be used with small shields, but certainly not large.

Antikinesis

First Post
Put spikes on your shield. Presto! Now it's a weapon. :)

More useful alternative... there's a feat in Sword & Fist that lets you use a shield as a weapon. Shield Expertise? Something like that. If a player took QD and SE (or whatever it is), I'd allow quickdraw on the shield. Or invent a separate shield-quickdraw feat. Kinda getting into house-rule territory, though.

-AK

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
A shield is already a weapon, regardless of spikes.

Shield Expert lets you use a shield to bash while retaining the AC bonus.

-Hyp.

Codragon

First Post
Great replies!
Some interesting points are being brought up....

What about this?

Given that a shield can be used as both a weapon and as armor, but not in the same round unless you have the shield expert feat,
I propose the following:

If someone Quickdraws* a shield, then he can 't use it as armor until he takes a MEA to strap it to his arm. He can only use it a weapon until then. If he has both the Shield Expert feat and the Quickdraw feat, he can Quickdraw his shield and immediately get the shield's armor bonus.

Thoughts?

*Quickdraw - (verb) to draw a weapon or shield using the Quickdraw feat. It is a free action.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
If someone Quickdraws* a shield, then he can 't use it as armor until he takes a MEA to strap it to his arm. He can only use it a weapon until then. If he has both the Shield Expert feat and the Quickdraw feat, he can Quickdraw his shield and immediately get the shield's armor bonus.

I think the first point fits the rules as written, and the second would be a perfectly reasonable house rule.

-Hyp.

Remove ads