• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quicked Dimension Door in the Astal Plane

s-dub

First Post
A player of mine and myself were having a discussion about random DnD stuff last night and we ended up talking about Dimension Door. I noted that the spells description stated that after using dimensional door in a round, you can take no other actions.

"After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn."

In the DMG (IIRC) under Githyanki combat tactics it states that the Githyanki often use quicken dimension door to advance upon foes and use a full attack that round. This sounds like it's blatantly against the spells decription unless:

A) Quickening dimension door let's you take actions (not stated anywhere I can find)

B) Since teleportation spells utilize the Astral Plane, casting dimension door on the Astral plane is easier (definitely not explicitly written)

So, I'm currently left with the impression that whoever wrote the blurb on combat tactics of the Githyanki didn't bother reading up on their capabilities and thus we have core rule books that disagree.

Am I missing something or is this essentially correct?

mvincent

Explorer
s-dub said:
I'm currently left with the impression that whoever wrote the blurb on combat tactics of the Githyanki didn't bother reading up
Agreed; a quickened dimension-door would not allow them to do what the writer thinks. Such mistakes are common enough though. No biggie.

As a fix (assuming the githyanki ability allows them to bring others as normal), just have one githyanki dimension door his teammates, who have delayed their action... allowing everyone (except the transporter) to full attack after dimension-dooring.

useridunavailable

First Post
Heh. Sounds like the guy who wrote this is the same guy who kept writing up Prestige Class example characters who didn't meet the prerequisites of the Prestige Classes they were showcasing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads