Quickened Spell and Green Flame Blade

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
That's what it was! Thank you! Yeah, it's not a huge boost, so I don't think we'll end up changing how we've done it, but I do need to point it out to the DM, since he is more "by the book" than I am when i'm DM.

Sentinel, War Caster, and Booming Blade basically means they cannot escape you unless they're an absolute tank, which is fun. Mix that with Swashbuckler, and at level 9 rogue you're like, hey, come get me, <stab> come on come get me <move away without op. attack>, and they can either follow and get rekt, or not follow and be useless on their turn. It's basically the 4e "chicken-defender" swordmage, but somehow even more mean?

Probably a good thing rogues have no access to the use of polearm master and SA...if there were no weapon restrictions on rogues, a polearm swashbuckler w cantrips would be the most frustrating PC to fight ever.

One additional point is that Booming Blade has a range of 5 feet, so you can't take advantage of reach at the same time you are using it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
One additional point is that Booming Blade has a range of 5 feet, so you can't take advantage of reach at the same time you are using it.

Ugh. This kind of fiddle rules stuff just annoys me. Not toward you, just the rules. I think as a DM I’d allow someone with resources spent to specialize in such a tactic to ignore that, and use it as weapon range, as long as it’s a melee Attack.

Unless you also get Spell Sniper.

Haha man, that would be...quite a feat tax, but I guess the feat has plenty of general utility as well.

I still think that the game could use a gish fighting style, btw.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
[Booming blade range 5 feet]
Ugh. This kind of fiddle rules stuff just annoys me. Not toward you, just the rules. I think as a DM I’d allow someone with resources spent to specialize in such a tactic to ignore that, and use it as weapon range, as long as it’s a melee Attack.

First, I agree with you and would rule the same way.

Second, it was probably intentional since it does have a range, and one in feet. Probably someone saying "we balanced around you needing to either get out or get attacked, it's too powerful at a distance".

I still think that the game could use a gish fighting style, btw.

This would be welcome. What bonus should it grant? They put a bunch of them in Warcaster already, hard not to step on that.

Bonus to Concentration on spells cast only on you? +2 to hit on single target Spell Attacks? Hmm, neither of those - needs to be something that Gish can use better than a pure caster dipping it. Weapons as spell focus and +1 to hit with melee attacks while Concentrating.

I can see them doing something awkward like +2 to hit of the target failed a save vs. spells from you in the last round, +2 to DC if the target was hit by a melee attack by you last round. Assuming all Gist are about casting offensive spells.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
First, I agree with you and would rule the same way.

Second, it was probably intentional since it does have a range, and one in feet. Probably someone saying "we balanced around you needing to either get out or get attacked, it's too powerful at a distance".
You’re probably right.

This would be welcome. What bonus should it grant? They put a bunch of them in Warcaster already, hard not to step on that.

Bonus to Concentration on spells cast only on you? +2 to hit on single target Spell Attacks? Hmm, neither of those - needs to be something that Gish can use better than a pure caster dipping it. Weapons as spell focus and +1 to hit with melee attacks while Concentrating.

I can see them doing something awkward like +2 to hit of the target failed a save vs. spells from you in the last round, +2 to DC if the target was hit by a melee attack by you last round. Assuming all Gist are about casting offensive spells.

It’s gotta be something that is useful for two levels with no spells, for Eldritch Knights, but it could have two benefits, one of which doesn’t matter until you can cast spells. It also needs to require and benefit melee attacks.

So, maybe the ability to make your melee weapon attacks magical, or make them deal a specific energy damage type of your choice (not force!), plus proficiency on concentration checks from taking damage? Maybe spend a bonus action to also deal XdY damage of that type to a creature within 10 feet of you?

Either that, or “You learn one cantrip of your choice from the following list.” And then add some more melee weapon cantrips, including a couple bonus action ones that play nice with extra attack.

Remove ads