• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

quicker battle mechanics? (not simply halving HP)

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
We had a problem with this- combat length and grind, after much discussion we implemented the following-

All combat should be narrative specific, basically fewer fights- if I figure a 'lair/scenario' or sequence should have about five combat encounters (I think) in it I try to cut this by one and redistribute the XP to always include a skill challenge, or else beef up the four remaining encounters with traps or a few extra bad guys- thereby increasing the encounter level (within reason).

Action Point for every Encounter- and they can't be 'saved up'- so max 1 AP at any time.

Monsters at 75% HP.

Monsters do MM3 damage +25%- which believe me is a chunk.

We've been playing for about five sessions, only about 8 combat encounters so far- we do plenty of role-play. Of the 8 or so combat encounters all but one was done in 3 rounds- about 30-40 minutes play on Maptools- previously combat lasted 1 hour and seemed to go on for at least 4-5 rounds for the most part.

All the players have commented that it seems to work, and is far more dangerous, and HEROIC, for the want of a better word.

In our previous games (using D&D Core Modules, or else Goodman Games modules) then I've really struggled to wear the PCs down, or else reduce one of them to negative HP. Again this now happens much more often- our Battlerager seems to spend most encounters on 4 HP, the Warforged Fighter usually less than 10 HP. In 2-3 of the 8 encounters I've managed to get at least one PC down to 0 HP or below- they bounce back of course, but the increase in tension is noticeable.

I've no idea if the fix is done, the PCs have only just hit 2nd Level so there's a way to go- we may have to House Rule some more, or else re-evaluate at higher levels but it certainly seems to be working at the moment.

Our campaign can be found here-

The Knight Watch | Obsidian Portal

Cheers PDR

Saber6

First Post
Things we have done:

Critical hits get Max Damage TIMES 1D6 plus item critical hit damage. Big things go down a lot faster (especially with an 11 year old playing a ranger).

Spend a Healing surge to re-roll (usually only on Daily powers). Everyone HATES rolling a 1 on a daily.

More Minions (had a Chaos Bolt take out 10 Giants...)

Uller

Adventurer
Monsters at 75% HP.

Monsters do MM3 damage +25%- which believe me is a chunk.

I've been doing this too. We're at 5th level. It cuts down on grind considerably AND it means that if a PC gets isolated and takes 2-3 hits, he's in trouble. I'd actually go as far as 50% (-50% HP and + 50% damage)...but my players are worried it will get a little too deadly.

braro

Explorer
I've been doing this too. We're at 5th level. It cuts down on grind considerably AND it means that if a PC gets isolated and takes 2-3 hits, he's in trouble. I'd actually go as far as 50% (-50% HP and + 50% damage)...but my players are worried it will get a little too deadly.

That's how I have run my game until recently, and I can say - it does.

I am thinking more of the 75% HP + 25% damage.

Remove ads