• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quicker Than The Eye feat (from Song & Silence)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Davelozzi said:
Not a bad idea, although probably not the best example since throwing a poisoned dart at someone would be an attack as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, certainly... but not in a combat situation, in the scenario I had envisioned.

This is not in the middle of a battle; this is, perhaps, at a banquet or somesuch. The QttEer manages to distract everyone briefly so that nobody sees when he throws the dart. The goal is not to deny the Duke his Dex bonus (since, as a surprise attack, the Duke is flat-footed anyway) but rather, to avoid being seen.

He can then act as shocked as everyone else when the Duke keels over.

As opposed to when you're actually fighting someone, and the opponent is far less likely to fall for "Hey! A distraction!"... but can still be taken in by a deceptive combat maneuver, represented by the Improved Feint feat.

-Hyp.

Davelozzi

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
This is not in the middle of a battle; this is, perhaps, at a banquet or somesuch.

Don't give him any ideas, the character in question has hardly any morals, is known to have very few qualms about killing someone, and will be attending a banquet with the new duke, as well as the king, in our next session. :eek:

...and just as the party was starting to gain some public respect and put their outlaw days behind them.

And I've just invited him to this thread. :(
Maybe I should just start planning for a new campaign now. ;)

Last edited:

TooCan

First Post
Its me - the "Player" your all talking about

Hey guys and girls, it's me the player that wants to be Quicker than the eye.

I'd like to start by saying, I can't believe someone who is related to me has disparaged Bacon this way. Bacon is God's way of saying he loves us and he wants us to enjoy salted fatty meat from a pigs a$$. If you love God, you MUST love bacon.

I'm glad to see everyone here is on my side. Take that mean and unfair DM!

Anyway, I can't deny I'm in this for the sake of more sneak attacks (what good thief wouldn't be?) but it does seem to me there is a big difference between QTTE and Improved Feint. As has been stated above (the case I have made)

- Ranged Weapons feinting is available with QTTE
- Requires high dex not INT
- Spot check vs Sense Motive (hinderance, maybe by design)
- Usable in non-combat situations in a way that would really fit my character (always trying to get away with something - like killing)

After some thought, I think that is why there is a spot check instead of a sense motive - I'm relying on being fast, not smart to pull this off.

Then again, last session I was able to pull off some non-combat things (taking second place in a drinking contest while not drinking much at all) simply using Slieght of Hand and Bluff. So there is the argument that in a non-combat situation I can be quicker than the eye already.

That's my rant, sorry for any spelling errors in advance of you pointing them out.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
TooCan said:
That's my rant, sorry for any spelling errors in advance.

Well, strictly, for it to have been in advance, the apology should have been placed at the start of the message...

-Hyp.

LordAO

First Post
This is a little off topic, but it says that with Quicker than the Eye you can make people not notice what you are doing with your partial action. Does this mean that you can use this feat to avoid attacks of opportunity froma ctions such as spellcasting or making a ranged attack, since they didn't notice you do it?

Davelozzi

Explorer
LordAO said:
Does this mean that you can use this feat to avoid attacks of opportunity from actions such as spellcasting or making a ranged attack, since they didn't notice you do it?

Yep, I don't see why not.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
LordAO said:
This is a little off topic, but it says that with Quicker than the Eye you can make people not notice what you are doing with your partial action. Does this mean that you can use this feat to avoid attacks of opportunity froma ctions such as spellcasting or making a ranged attack, since they didn't notice you do it?

It depends.

Being denied your Dex bonus does not prevent you from making AoOs.

In 3.5, Total Concealment prevents AoOs, so if you consider that "not noticing" equals Total Concealment, then in 3.5, yes, QttE could prevent AoOs.

In 3E, there is no such rule about Concealment. If you take certain actions in a threatened square, you provoke an AoO. There is nothing to say you need to be observed taking that action in order to be subject to that AoO.

-Hyp.

TooCan

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Being denied your Dex bonus does not prevent you from making AoOs.

That may be true, but remember being denied Dex bonus is just a said effect of this feat. The key thing this does for you is make you go unoticed. That is why it is deiiferent from improved Feint. So if your ranged attack/spell casting goes unoticed there would logicly be no reason for an AOO. Of course if they make their spot check they get their AOO as ususal.

Yet another reason why I need QTTE instead of Improved Feint.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads