• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quiver of Ehlonna - how does it work?

Legildur

First Post
(Good to see the site back up!!)

From the SRD:

This appears to be a typical arrow container capable of holding about 20 arrows. Examination shows that it has three distinct portions, each with an extradimensional space allowing it to store far more than would normally be possible. The first and smallest one can contain up to 60 objects of the same general size and shape as an arrow. The second slightly longer compartment holds up to 18 objects of the same general size and shape as a javelin. The third and longest portion of the case contains as many as six objects of the same general size and shape as a bow (spears, staffs, etc.). Once the owner has filled it, she can command the quiver each round to produce any stored items she wishes.

my emphasis

I bet that these questions have been addressed before, but I can’t find anything relevant (don’t have access to the search function). So I apologise in advance if this has been dealt with before.

I take it that ‘commanding’ the quiver to produce a stored item is a Standard Action?

Q1 – does producing a stored item put it in your hand, or do you then have to use a Move Equivalent Action to ready it (a long bow or javelin for example).

Q2 – How are items put away in the quiver? Is that a MEA that draws an AOO?

Q3 – Is it like a normal quiver when producing arrows? Or do you need a second ‘normal’ quiver to transfer arrows into in order to use a bow at the normal rate of fire (without having to take a Standard Action to ‘command’ the quiver each round)?

The Souljourner

First Post
Wow, I can't believe no one thought to ask that before. (Or if they have, I haven't seen it)

By the rules, magic items take a standard action to activate unless otherwise noted. However I think in this case, no sane DM would make you waste a standard action to get an arrow out of it, since then it would be no better than any of the other magical containers.

I'm sure they intended for it to be useable as a normal quiver, javelin holder, etc etc, but by the rules, it doesn't work that way.

-The Souljourner

drnuncheon

Explorer
The Souljourner said:
By the rules, magic items take a standard action to activate unless otherwise noted. However I think in this case, no sane DM would make you waste a standard action to get an arrow out of it, since then it would be no better than any of the other magical containers.

I think they key here is the phrase "produce any stored items" - note the plural. You can obviously produce more than one thing at a time.

Based on that, my guess would be that you can produce the arrows or the javelins or the staffs/bows/whatever at one time, and you use a standard action to switch between them. But of course there's nothing in the book to support that.

EDIT: Alternately, you can produce enough items at one time to fill the quiver: 20 arrows (since it appears as a standard quiver), or whatever else would fill it up. Not sure how you'd divide that up though.

J

Last edited:

Legildur

First Post
From the SRD:

Quiver of Ehlonna:

Caster Level: 9th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Leo_mund’s secret chest; Market Price: 1,800 gp; Weight: -.

Heward's Handy Haversack:

While such storage is useful enough, the pack has an even greater power in addition. When the wearer reaches into it for a specific item, that item is always on top. Thus, no digging around and fumbling is ever necessary to find what a haversack contains. Retrieving any specific item from a haversack is a move-equivalent action. Heward’s handy haversack and whatever it contains gain a +2 resistance bonus to all saving throws.

Caster Level: 5th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Leo_mund’s secret chest; Market Price: 2,000 gp; Weight: 5 lb.

Wasn't the Haversack errated to a Free Action to retrieve an item?

Wouldn't then the Quiver be equivalent? (has a higher caster level and the same requirements, if that is relevant).

RedSwan78

First Post
::shudders::

Heya Hypersmurf, remember *my* thread on this subject? :D Can someone that is a member somehow find and post a link to it here? :) (I believe it's subject was something to the effect of: Heward's Handy Haversack = free quickdraw? +Quiver of Ehlonna Questions)

Shaghayegh

First Post
Q3 – Is it like a normal quiver when producing arrows? Or do you need a second ‘normal’ quiver to transfer arrows into in order to use a bow at the normal rate of fire (without having to take a Standard Action to ‘command’ the quiver each round)?

What would be the point of this item if you needed a second quiver? :hmm:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads