• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quiver of Ehlonna

Skaros

First Post
From the SRD:

This appears to be a typical arrow container capable of holding about 20 arrows. Examination shows that it has three distinct portions, each with an extradimensional space allowing it to store far more than would normally be possible. The first and smallest one can contain up to 60 objects of the same general size and shape as an arrow. The second slightly longer compartment holds up to 18 objects of the same general size and shape as a javelin. The third and longest portion of the case contains as many as six objects of the same general size and shape as a bow (spears, staffs, etc.). Once the owner has filled it, she can command the quiver each round to produce any stored items she wishes.

"...can command the quiver each round to produce any stored item she wishes" seems to imply that removing a single arrow from the quiver is a standard action, as other command activated magic items take a standard action.

Is this the case? Or is it a free action to remove an object (like an arrow, or even a bow) from the quiver?

My elven archer wants to know.

-Skaros

Alchemist

First Post
While I have no rules to back me up, it would only be in the spirit of the item that you take items out for free, as a regular quiver allows. Otherwise, why the heck would you want the thing? It's obviously meant to replace the mundane quiver and allow greater functionality, not make it hard by rooting through the thing to find that arrow you need right now. :)

kreynolds

First Post
Alchemist said:
...it would only be in the spirit of the item that you take items out for free, as a regular quiver allows.

Or a quiver of javelins? Or a quiver of bows, staffs, or spears? See where it gets messed up?

Last edited:

Alchemist

First Post
kreynolds said:

Or a quiver of javelins? Or a quiver of bows, staffs, or spears? See where it gets messed up?

Okay, so what do *you* think it *should* do? Does it actually make sense to you that the "magical quiver of holding" takes an action to retrieve an arrow? Perhaps for the other items, but not for the arrows. This is obviously not how it is worded, and it would appear to do well from rewording. Or house ruling. :)

I agree that it says it takes a standard action, but that makes the item a useless piece of crap. I'm pretty sure they didn't design it to be a useless piece of crap. :)

Edit: changed full to standard. Not thinking yet.

Last edited:

Skaros

First Post
Quite the worthless item then. Bag of holding allows for storage of more arrows than the Quiver of Ehlonna (even type I holds 250 pounds!), and removing them is a move equivalent action if the bag isn't too overloaded.......just have the arrows secured in quivers so they don't rupture the bag.

If you want to store your bow, just get a glove of storing...free action to retrieve it.

Is there any DMG errata out? I don't have access to wizards.com while at work.

Thanks,

Skaros

Skaros

First Post
Alchemist said:
Okay, so what do *you* think it *should* do? Does it actually make sense to you that the "magical quiver of holding" takes an action to retrieve an arrow? Perhaps for the other items, but not for the arrows. This is obviously not how it is worded, and it would appear to do well from rewording. Or house ruling. :)

I agree that it says it takes a full action, but that makes the item a useless piece of crap. I'm pretty sure they didn't design it to be a useless piece of crap. :)

Hey, don't take it out on kreynolds....I dont think he's fighting for standard actions to retrieve arrows, just pointing out that the rules seem to fight for it. I could be wrong, of course.

-Skaros

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Spirit of the rules, not the letter. Normally, that still leaves room for debate, but in this case, I think it is pretty clear cut. Remember that a 16th level hasted archer can shoot 6 arrows a round. His regular quiver would be depleted in 3.33 rounds. I think there is a niche for a bigger "Quiver of Holding" type item, and the Quiver of Ehlonna fills it. When you compare to a bag of holding, the quiver bites... unless you can retrieve arrows as normal.

Rav

kreynolds

First Post
Alchemist said:
Okay, so what do *you* think it *should* do?

For 1,800gp? Free action, once per round. Just take a look at Heward's Handy Haversack. It's basically just that, except it has a much smaller storage capacity.

Last edited:

Remove ads