• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Quotes on 4e pre-GenCon

FourthBear

First Post
I know that after the announcement of 4e, there were a number of threads on subject of WotC lying about the release of 4e. One of them was from this year's D&D eXperience and another from Winter Fantasy, as I recall. From what I remember from the outcomes of those threads, it seemed as if the actual quotes from WotC people were not nearly as strong as made out and that there was one out-and-out misquote.

Someone has mentioned this belief that WotC lied about the 4e release on another messageboard (RPGnet), but I can't find any of the threads here or the discussion of quotes anywhere. Can anyone point me to a good summary of this issue? It's certainly led to a lot of hard feelings and it would be nice to have some kind of a summary, one way or the other.

BryonD

Hero
I'm certain someone will give you a better reply, with links.

But most of the "they lied" claims (if not all) have been well debunked.

I know that a big one was "we aren't working on 4E" and it turned out the real quote was "We aren't working on a 4E that requires minis."

delericho

Legend
The various quotes were all on the 4th Edition news page, although I don't know if they're still there or not, and if they are they might be buried in amongst all the other information (there's a lot there now).

However, I did a fairly extensive search for the various quotes that I thought contained the WotC 'lies', and came up empty. The "we're not working on 4e" was actually "we're not working on a 4e that requires minis", and the "all future announcements will be at D&D Experience" wasn't as clear-cut as that.

More information can be found at my post on the previously-linked thread: here.

I hope that helps.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Yeah, most of the "YOU LIED!" Discussions tended to turn into, "Well played, Mr. Bond... Well played" discussions. :)

FourthBear

First Post
Thanks for the link, Beckett, that's the one I'm referring to. I wasn't sure about making a direct link, as I didn't want to set up some kind of forum vs. forum thing. Things seem to have died down, so no such worries, I think.

Remove ads