• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Qustion regarding Perrless Hunter for MC Rangers.

Nichwee

First Post
If a person is multiclassed into Ranger (via Warrrior Of The Wild) and takes the Peerless Hunter feat how long would the additional Quarry last?

WotW gives Hunter's Quarry but wraps it in an Encounter Power that lasts until the end of your next turn.

Peerless Hunter lets you designate a second quarry (with 5 squares) when you use your Hunter's Quarry.

Would this second quarry last until the end of your next turn as well, or would it be governed by the normal duration of the Hunter's Quarry (as it wasn't applied by the Enc Power which specifically limits the normal duration of the Hunter's Quarry ability)?

I am mostly after a RAW response, but would eb interested in what people feel is the RAI too.

Is 2 feats (WotW + PH) to get a single quarry to last the fight unfair at Epic?

Ferghis

First Post
If a person is multiclassed into Ranger (via Warrrior Of The Wild) and takes the Peerless Hunter feat how long would the additional Quarry last?
[...]
I am mostly after a RAW response, but would eb interested in what people feel is the RAI too.
If you're looking for an opinion on how to interpret the written rules, let's take a look at them.
Warrior of the Wild said:
Once per encounter, you can use the ranger's Hunter's Quarry class feature. The target you designate as your quarry remains your quarry until the end of your next turn.
Peerless Hunter said:
When designating a target as your quarry, you can designate a second target within 5 squares of the first target as your quarry as well. When you designate a third target as your quarry, you decide which of the previous two quarries is no longer your quarry.
The second sentence of the WotW feat makes your quarry last until the end of next turn. The PH feat does nothing to change that, even though it does elaborate on how the feat would work for fully-fledged rangers. It doesn't grant you the ability designate any quarries in and of itself, but you can designate two quarries when you would otherwise designate one. While you could argue that the second quarry would use the normal (non-multiclass) quarry rules, these arguments would fail because all PH does is change the target of your quarry power to two targets.

Is 2 feats (WotW + PH) to get a single quarry to last the fight unfair at Epic?
I don't think so: that feels totally fair to me, but it would take a house ruled feat to make it so. I would ask your DM, however, since it's his or her game.

Nichwee

First Post
Thanks, that was what I thought.
I was unsure tho as my character's HQ (the power description I get) states it last the normal duration - just that the only means I have to allocate a quarry runs out quicker.
Hence, I wondered if the second allocation would use the same limiting rules or the base rules.

Remove ads