R&C Art, the Women of R&C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Rechan said:
Well, the Succubus has many origins.

For instance, the first Succubi is supposed to be Lilith, Adam's first wife before Eve (Hebrew legend). The Succubus was an explanation for Nocturnal Emissions. And the stealing of that semen was then transferred to Incubi, who would impregnate women who had no husbands.

Also from a simply physical/mental slant, many people believe the mannerisms of the succubi/incubus arrised thanks to "sleep paralysis".

Where you are consciouss but your body is still asleep so you can't move, there is a feeling of a weight on your chest (the succubi/incubus sitting on you), and since you are still slightly unconsciouss you can see figments of your imagination slip into your ordinary vision (seeing what you think is the succubi/incubus, this also people believe began the belief in shadow-people).

As for the original subject, from what I have seen so far, I am pleasantly surprised, they seem to be making more realistic-female characters. Now yes, most if not all of them are attractive, but that is to be expected. So far the clothing has been fairly good. The only one I didn't really like was the human-wizard.

kennew142

First Post
Rechan said:
Yes, but I don't think Latin qualifies as a new language the same way ESL or Spanish or whatever does. It's not like people are going around speaking and writing it; it's purely an academic thing.

No, but they do go around reading and writing it. Lots of middle schools teach Latin. My youngest students right now are 5th graders. Studies show that students who study Latin in school do better on the verbal section of standardized tests. 50% of all English words derive from Latin, but closer to 95% of all words on standardized tests.

In many schools parents demand to have Latin available to their children.

I have to say that I am amazed at how well some of my 5th graders do in Latin. I have taught 5th grade through the college level. Some of these kids learn faster than my college students.

Rechan

Adventurer
kennew142 said:
Wow.

I could see if they were being taught Spanish early on, but just wow.

Then again, I just took my GRE and the stuff like analogies kicked my arse, so some latin familiarity would've been good. :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
kennew142 said:
No, but they do go around reading and writing it. Lots of middle schools teach Latin. My youngest students right now are 5th graders. Studies show that students who study Latin in school do better on the verbal section of standardized tests. 50% of all English words derive from Latin, but closer to 95% of all words on standardized tests.

I have to say that I am amazed at how well some of my 5th graders do in Latin. I have taught 5th grade through the college level. Some of these kids learn faster than my college students.

Odd. Almost no schools in the Bible Belt (Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas) teach Latin, outside of private (and rather costly) institutions. You'd think that teaching archaic (though important) languages would be in high demand there, of all places.

Orius

Legend
Kamikaze Midget said:
That said, I still think the Succubus is going to be ridiculously sexualized, but the succubus is based on the archetype of the "controlling, evil woman who manipulates you with beauty and leaves you weak and drained because of it."

The succubus better damn well be hot, since the concept has always been sexual:

Wikipedia said:
In Western medieval legend, a succubus is a demon who takes the form of a beautiful woman to seduce men (especially monks) in dreams to have sexual intercourse. They draw energy from the men to sustain themselves, often until the point of exhaustion or death of the victim. From mythology and fantasy, Lilith and the Lilin (Jewish) and Lilitu (Sumerian) are, in redactive Christian fables (folktales not part of official Christian theology), considered succubi.

Likely succubi were in origin a medieval explaination for wet dreams or something.

In any case, the game mechanics for succubi have always stayed pretty close to the source material (eg, energy drain sex).

The Ubbergeek

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Odd. Almost no schools in the Bible Belt (Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas) teach Latin, outside of private (and rather costly) institutions. You'd think that teaching archaic (though important) languages would be in high demand there, of all places.

You forget one very important details...

The majority of the bible belt is PROTESTANT.

And Latin was the common tongue of the CATHOLIC church.

They wouldn't use a 'papist' tongue, except for humanist, old world conservatives...

kennew142

First Post
jdrakeh said:

I realize that it is probably a small percentage, but a quick check of the American Classical League Website showed 80 active chapters in Texas, most of which appeared (from the names) to be public high schools and middle schools. Only three in Nebraska however. I live in Tucson, so there could be something to the catholic vs. protestant post above.

The school I teach at is a public charter school, with an extremely secular nature.

Shortman McLeod

First Post
The Ubbergeek said:
You forget one very important details...

The majority of the bible belt is PROTESTANT.
And Latin was the common tongue of the CATHOLIC church.
They wouldn't use a 'papist' tongue, except for humanist, old world conservatives...

I'm a Catholic myself, but I still have to say that this is a ridiculous, nonsense strawman. There isn't a Protestant in the WORLD who would actually oppose the teaching of Latin and describe it as a "papist" tongue. Get real.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
And that qualifies as both a religious tangent, followed by rudeness that could have easily been avoided while still disagreeing. The klunking noise you hear is this thread being pushed over the line.

Happy New Klunk, everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads