R. Thompson : D&D still a sim/gamist RPG

smathis

First Post
Moridin said:
My middle initial is H, and that's not my middle name.

:lol:

Fair enough. Sorry about that. I hope no offense was taken.

We all know your middle name is "Hastur".

But I'm limited in the number of times I can say/post/type that name in a given time period.

I'm sure you understand...

;)

smathis

First Post
Kwalish Kid said:
..."That's what differentiates a board game from a roleplaying game, I think. A board game rewards players for making choices that lead to victory. A roleplaying game rewards the player for making choices that are consistent with his character." This is not something said by Thompson, this is something that he quotes John Wick as saying.

...After that quote, Thompson writes, "What 4E's noncombat encounter system does is it lets you make a choice that is consistent with your character AND lets you achieve victory with that (or, at least, some modicum of success)."

John Wick... Practically the King of Sim Game Design, right there!

Dude totally nailed the physics of being a cat in... well... "Cat". That logarithmic table for climbing out of a tree was brutal!

(Just kidding in the event that both John and Rodney are reading this. There's no logtable for climbing out of a tree and John and Jared are currently writing wonderfully inventive indie games (definitively not Sim. Geez, you can never be too sure nowadays...) :uhoh:

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
smathis said:
John Wick... Practically the King of Sim Game Design, right there!

Dude totally nailed the physics of being a cat in... well... "Cat". That logarithmic table for climbing out of a tree was brutal!

(Just kidding in the event that both John and Rodney are reading this. There's no logtable for climbing out of a tree and John and Jared are currently writing wonderfully inventive indie games (definitively not Sim. Geez, you can never be too sure nowadays...) :uhoh:
Indeed, if he is reading this, I should add that I think that L5R is one of the most amazing RPGs ever created. The system masterfully blends the metaphysics of the game world with the rules system. I've never been as "in character" as in playing L5R. I happily sent my "Fearless" Lion character to what I was sure would be his death many times.
[/fanboy]

Remove ads