• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rabbit monsters

Slapzilla

First Post
I made up some 'Dire Rabbits' as mounts for a group of 'gnomads'. Sized them up, gave them a handful of HD (four, I think) and a secondary attack (kick, of course) and they thought I was nuts. The gnomads had mini lances and riding saddles to boot. Hilarious. The look on my player's faces when they got charged by a group of gnomes on the back of giant rabbits. Worth it, I tell you. Might have been able to put the warbeast template on them, come to think of it. Overdone..?

Warren Okuma

First Post
Slapzilla said:
I made up some 'Dire Rabbits' as mounts for a group of 'gnomads'. Sized them up, gave them a handful of HD (four, I think) and a secondary attack (kick, of course) and they thought I was nuts. The gnomads had mini lances and riding saddles to boot. Hilarious. The look on my player's faces when they got charged by a group of gnomes on the back of giant rabbits. Worth it, I tell you. Might have been able to put the warbeast template on them, come to think of it. Overdone..?
Dunno, why don't you post the stats?

cougent

First Post
In the online game Asheron's Call there was a "White Bunny" monster that was obviously Monty Python inspired. It was something like 300 levels higher than any player could get and took a group to kill. It was fun though.

I would love to see a D&D variation of that. It would never meet any rules (old or new) guidelines though.

Doug McCrae

Legend
product_magic_tempest_Kezzerdrix.jpg

Heckler

First Post
My memory is not being helpful. :(

Back in the day, Dragon would occasionally include a little thing that had about a dozen new monsters (Creature Catalogue?). Anyway, whatever it was called, they once included a fey creature that (IIRC) was a small sized rabbit humanoid with the horns of a stag. I want to say they were called "Callygraunts," but I think that's off somehow.

Eltharon

Explorer
God forbid we make a dire rabbit...normal ones are damn scary. Have you ever tried putting an IV tube on a pissed off rabbit? Its enough to make a man soil himself.

Huw

First Post
Remembered another one. The rabbucks from Dougal Dixons After Man, where rabbits have evolved into deer-like animals 50 million years into the future.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Back in the early 80's I threw in a race of humanoid rabbitmen. They weren't the strongest (1 or 2 Hit Dice) but had exceptional speed (2 attacks per round for 1 HD, 3 attackes per round for 2 HD) which made them exceptional fighters. Their main compulsion was to run, but when cornered in their own lair they attacked. The Story Hour for that campaign is currently being posted under the title "Search for the Rod of the Seven Parts".

ruleslawyer

Heckler said:
My memory is not being helpful. :(

Back in the day, Dragon would occasionally include a little thing that had about a dozen new monsters (Creature Catalogue?). Anyway, whatever it was called, they once included a fey creature that (IIRC) was a small sized rabbit humanoid with the horns of a stag. I want to say they were called "Callygraunts," but I think that's off somehow.
No, that's right. The calygraunt, or feystag, is a rabbit-y creature; basically a horned bunny-ish creature.

Then there's the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing from the 1e MM2; that's the "innocent rabbit sitting on a stump" to which Shadeydm alluded.

Remove ads