• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Race based off of Hadozee.

Darthbelch

First Post
I made these guys because I was bored, thoughts? Commence? Balance issues? I could use more ideas on how to give them cooler abilities. Yes, these guys are based heavily off of the Overlord minions.

Hadoza
A mysterious race of elementally influenced apes that dwell in the wilds of Titus. Not much is known about their homelands, except they have vast hidden cities that no one but them know about. Many of them can be found working in Callion, even a few on Darathir.

Racial Traits:

-2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Wis.

Small: As a small creature, a hadoza gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, A +1 size bonus on attack rolls and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but they use smaller weapons than medium sized creatures and their lifting and carrying limits are three quarters of those of a medium character.

Hadoza base land speed is 30 feet.

+2 Racial bonus on Spot checks.

Elemental Infusion: There are several noticeable incarnations of the Hadoza, all influenced by the elements of Titus. Their element is determined at birth.

Flame (Hadoza-Ki): These Hadoza are blessed with the element of fire, and are usually have more violent and spontaneous personalities than other Hadoza.

Spell like Abilities: A hadoza with a wisdom score of at least 10 has the following spell like abilities: Flare, Dancing Lights. CL 1st. Wis Modifier/per day.

A Hadoza (Harkoza) with a wisdom score of at least 18 has the following spell like abilities: Flare, Dancing Lights, Burning hands, and Fire Finger. CL 3rd Wis Modifier/Per day.

Water (Hadoza-Ka): These Hadoza are blessed with the element of water, and are calmer, more relaxed versions of the others. They are gifted with controllable flippers between their fingers.

Hadoze are granted +4 Racial bonus to swim checks.

40 foot swim base speed.

Hadoze can breath underwater one half hour per point of wisdom modifier. (Example: A Hadoze with a +4 Wisdom modifier can breath underwater for 2 hours before having to return to the surface)

Earth (Hadoza-Ke): These Hadoza are blessed with the element of earth, and are tougher and larger versions of their race.

Powerful Build: The physical stature of these Hadoza lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever these Hadoza are subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Hadoza is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Hadoza is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature's special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A Hadoza can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.

+2 Bonus on saving throws against spells and spell like effects.

Air (Hadoza-Ka): These hadoza are blessed with the gift of the Air, they are leaner and somewhat smaller than their other Hadoza bretheren.

+2 bonus to Jump and Balance checks, Hadoza-Ka are light and nimble.

Gliding : A Hadoza-ka may use its extra flaps of skin to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Hadoza glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a Hadoza-ka's maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. A Hadoza-Ka can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a Hadoza-ka becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Hadoza-ka descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.

Shadow (Hadoza-Se): These Hadoza were blessed by the element of shadow of their birth. These darker, more solitary Hadoza are to be kept an eye on, you never know what they may be up to.

+2 Bonus to Hide and Move silently checks. The Hadoza-se are naturally sneaky.

Dark Vision 30 ft.

Light (Hadoza-Lei): These Hadoza are the most revered amongst their race, the most rare form of their elemental infusion.

Detect Evil: At will, a Hadoza-Lei may use Detect evil, as per the spell.

A Hadoza-Lei has the Spell like ability: Cure Light Wounds CL 1st. As long as its Wis 16 or higher, may be used once a day. Twice if their Wis is 18 or higher.

I'm sorry It's not any neater :p

Last edited:

Well, I believe the Hadozee were presented as a PC race in Stormwrack.

+2 Dex, -2 Con
Medium
Gliding
Balance and Climb bonuses
FC: Rogue

That's just a summary from memory.

----- Honest critique of your post below -----

Most races without a level adjustment (and indeed, most non 3.0 races) don't have scaled SLAs like that (10/16 vs 18). I don't like it as a mechanic, especially since they get a racial Wisdom bonus. Either give them the SLAs for 18 and give them +1 LA or give them the "lesser" ones.

I believe that Powerful Build is one of those traits that always bumps a character up to +1 LA minimum, but that might be wrong; I've only seen it on +1 LA creatures.

All that said, you've got a good start. Always remember to compare new races to the average example of a Level Adjustment (Elves or Gnomes) rather than a powerful example (Dwarves or Warforged) when determining balance of abilities.

-TRRW

Remove ads