D&D 5E Race Class combo, together, defines a character ‘type’

Yaarel

He Mage
To decouple race-class combos, seems no longer a medievalesque setting of supernatural races and cultures. Instead, it seems a modern setting of new mutant superheroes, where every individual is different from every other individual.

Both are viable settings. Yet the medieval broad strokes where one distinctive culture can contrast an other distinctive culture, thus make global diversity possible, sadly disintegrate in a modern hyperindividualist setting. Individual diversity increases but cultural diversity vanishes. It is a new kind of samey. A planet of strip malls.

Yaarel

He Mage
What about something like this.

Race and culture grant +1 each, and class and archetype grant an other +1 each. For example, a High (+1 Intelligence) Elf (+1 Dexterity) Arcane Trickster (+1 Intelligence) Rogue (+1 Dexterity), builds a character with +2 Intelligence and +2 Dexterity.

Along with +2 and +2, it is also possible to build a character with +2 and two +1s, or even four +1s. (Depending on an even or odd base, both the +2 and the +1 can be useful.)

Some players can appreciate how this method encourages a race-class combo that is suggestive, thematic, and useful. Other players can appreciate how this method allows freeform combinations that are viable.

Mostly I am happy with the above method. My only difficulty is the lack of ‘superhuman’ flavor. What I love about 5e is how the Human ability is +1 or +0, where the Nonhuman races can feel superhuman because of a +2. Super strong, super smart, super charming, etcetera. At the same time, a Human can if desirable, spend the feat to boost the score to total +2, so somewhere there is an individual within the Human population who is just as able as one of these superhuman races. Which also feels right.

Yaarel

He Mage
Race design that is intentional about which classes are likely to inform its cultures, enjoys verisimilitude.

It also creates vivid race-class icons, that are easier for players to relate to.

Allowing players to optionally use the Human stats for any race, for the sake of fluid customizability, seems a reasonable solution.

Remove ads