• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Race Class Combos, Design, Roleplaying and the fear of the new

GreenTengu

Adventurer
I know we are 10 pages deep, so its probably way too late to comment on the original premise, but....

I feel like 5E did hit on a sort of racial design that works. Certain benefits become entirely or effectively nullified if you are a class that particularly benefits from the other aspects of the race. However, these weren't really well implemented post the PHB because it seems the later designers were just too dumb to comprehend the actual game effect these abilities have.

Martial weapon proficiencies? Armor proficiencies? Nice concept to tack onto a warrior race, but of absolutely no benefit if you take a class that is already a melee combatant-- you either would get those proficiencies from class, or at least the class offers something so that those proficiencies are absolutely meaningless.

Ditto with natural armor or natural weapons which are nice ways to make your race seem more beastial or monstrous. But, again, if you are a melee class then either these are going to be inferior to using your class weapon and armor lay out or, at least, not better.

However, if you don't choose one of those melee damage-dealing, armor wearing classes-- if you are a class that doesn't benefit so much from the attribute bonuses, then these abilities are actually meaningful and give the race something when taking those classes that it effectively wouldn't have otherwise-- a bonus for choosing a seemingly unfavored class.

Or if everything about the race says "rogue" and you give them a lesser version of the Rogue class's first level ability to dodge/hide more easily-- well, that is functionally nullified if you take the Rogue class, but if you take any other class it is like you dipped one toe into that Rogue class. And probably the same can be done for a number of early level abilities across classes.

For abilities that have a lessened effect?

+1 hit point per a level means a LOT more to someone who has a D4 hit die than someone who has a d10 or d12-- even if the later is more likely to lose hit points.

An extra cantrip or early level spells lots give a much more significant bonus to a class that absolutely wouldn't have magic at all than they mean to a class that already gets more than it is likely to really need.

And then there are a few abilities that are pretty universally good.
Saves or damage reduction against things that are likely to target your character are always good benefits because no one really avoids damage entirely in the game.
The Halfling's ability to reroll 1s is good regardless of your class with only more benefit for those that roll more often.

But, even within the PHB not everything was done correctly.
The Half-Orc's Savage Attacks puts in an unnecessary restriction that screws up the whole thing. The race already grants a strength bonus and has an ability to avoid getting knocked out, which is most useful for the tank. So given that everything else is already forcing you towards playing a Fighter, Paladin or Barbarian and giving you basically no benefit for being anything else.... it is just utterly stupid game design that Savage Attacks should be limited to melee weapon attack. Simply strike that unnecessary restriction and there is actually a benefit to be gained for playing them with other classes, plenty enough of which make more than enough sense. Instead of this mentality of "I am playing against type, so I deserve to suck and be punished for it", you could actually have a decently functional Half-Orc Monk or Half-Orc Warlock.

And, sure, there are those who will argue that "hey, taking a -1 on all your rolls throughout the whole game compared to if you took the 'right' class or effectively 'buying' a bunch of abilities that lay on your sheet never to be used because of your race/class combination choice doesn't make it 'unviable'"... but, well... I am skeptical they have even tried. I had too many negative experiences in 3/3.5 edition where my standardly made or unusual character had trouble making an attack roll against a single target while the min/maxed loophole twink characters that dominate the conversation as well take out every standard encounter in the first round... and anything thrown out to challenge them would be entirely untouchable to my abilities and kill me in one or two hits...

So stop the whole :):):):):):):):) about the a handful of +1s to attack rolls and ac not mattering one bit. It sure as hell matters.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Mora the Transmuter
Hill Dwarf Wizard School of Transmutation Lvl 20

ST 10, Dex 20, Con 20, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 10

HP - 202
202 hit points?!

I can see how this number is arrived at, but it still seems crazy to these old eyes...

OB1

Jedi Master
202 hit points?!

I can see how this number is arrived at, but it still seems crazy to these old eyes...

I know right? Even though I built the character in Beyond, I did the math myself just to make sure. Even though the +5 Con and the +1HP for Hill Dwarf account for 120 of those 202, 82 HP for a Level 20, 10 Con elf wizard still seems crazy.

Oh and Tony's Elven Wizard should be 30 HP behind Mora, not the 20 he thought.

OB1

Jedi Master
Who said elven? Just moved 3 ASIs.

You were supposed to pick a race that allowed for a 16 INT at 1st level. Since we weren't using feats I assumed that would be Elf, but feel free to pick whatever for your example as long as it gets the 16 INT at 1st.

Realized I mathed wrong. Assuming you still brought Con up to 18 by level 20, the elf or human would be 40HP behind (20 from Con, 20 from Hill Dwarf) not 30.

Tony Vargas

Legend
You were supposed to pick a race that allowed for a 16 INT at 1st level. Since we weren't using feats I assumed that would be Elf, but feel free to pick whatever for your example as long as it gets the 16 INT at 1st.
That might be 'more optimal' in some sense, but my point was keeping up, not starting slightly ahead... and you offered an at-level build, so what difference how it got there?

INT vs most-potent secondaries, ceteris paribus

Last edited:

OB1

Jedi Master
That might be 'more optimal' in some sense, but my point was keeping up, not starting slightly ahead... and you offered an at-level build, so what difference how it got there?

INT vs most-potent secondaries, ceteris paribus

Ah good, then we agree that it is not necessary to pick a race that provides a bonus to your prime attack attribute. That was my point all along, and precisely what this thread is about!

Tony Vargas

Legend
Ah good, then we agree that it is not necessary to pick a race that provides a bonus to your prime attack attribute. That was my point all along, and precisely what this thread is about!

At 20th, it's not going to make a bit of difference whether you started with a 13 or a 17, if you hit the cap of 20 in your primary... 13 will start out behind, but catch up by 16th.

Random gen, ASIs, and the cap of 20 make any class/race combo viable, at some point, it may never quite catch up in some other area, but that's of decreasing importance as you fill in the highest-return options.

Feats complicate that, of course.

Remove ads