• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Race

Are your gaming groups racially diverse?

• My race is numerous hereabouts, and I mostly game with co-ethic folk.

Votes: 81 57.0%
  • My race is numerous hereabouts, and my gaming circle is roughly representative.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • My race is numerous hereabouts, but my gaming circle is more diverse.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • My race is a local minority, and I game mostly with majority members.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • My race is a local minority, and my gamig circle is locally representative.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My race is a local minority, and my gaming circle is depleted in majority members.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I or significant numbers of my gaming circle are racially unclassifiable. (This is the option for pe

Votes: 18 12.7%

Sixchan

First Post
s/LaSH said:

I'm just terrified someone could look at me and call me a racist, which wouldn't be true, but I've got no way to prove it because my small circle of friends are largely just like me. I'm just paranoid about impossible things like that... or what I'd do if I accidentally travelled back in time to the Middle Ages with no technological support.

A boy scout's motto is 'always be prepared'. I've taken that to extremes and it makes me very nervous sometimes.

Strange...I've never been worried about stuff like that. But I guess it comes with the people I am around. My Black friends and I frequently use racial slurs at each other, but attach no more significance to it than calling someone with glasses "Four-eyes".

There's one person in particular, who when you talk to him seems like a disgustingly racist person. He uses racist searwords constantly, sings sectarian and racist songs, etc. He only has one friend, as far as I can tell (racist or not, he's still a disgusting person who hasn't heard of toothpaste), and that friend is black.

I get called things like "Black ********" and "Milkybar" in about equal measure, these days. But my world is very mixed up, I guess...

James Heard

Explorer
Minority women: I've gamed with my ex and her younger sister, who are both 1/2 Thai, one of my former gaming groups had every flavor of humanity under the sun. Black women, someone's Irish cousin down for the summer, a few hispanics and Filipinos, simple white trash like myself, and a guy originally from Jamaica here in Florida via England. I've played with gays, lesbians, born again Christians, a guy who claimed to be a satanist, handicapped people, guys older than my father and currently I find myself being pressured into running a Buffy the Vampire Slayer game for my 11 year old daughter and her friends. They've been short, fat, tall, thin, beautiful, smart, smelly, stupid and ugly.

None of them EVER can consistently wait their turn for initiative.

Mark Chance said:

Why be afraid to say it? It's not anything to be ashamed of, is it? There is, after all, no real virtue in having an "ethnically diverse" gaming group. It doesn't make Diverse Gamer superior.

There certainly isn't anything to be afraid of, but in the local area ethnically diverse generally means a diversity of points of view, social priorities, personalities, and personal behavior. So it's a really nice and interesting experience when it happens.

Does anyone here think sectarian differences are signficant? In my current scene they certainly are, though I wouldn't guess that it is as bad as it is in other areas.

The local sectarian breakdowns are, in terms of rough social priority: conservative Protestants, liberal Protestants, Roman Catholics, assorted 'Hippie' non or lax believers, Jews, devout atheists, really liberal protestants, and Muslims and other locally very small sects.

This may sound kind of quaint to a lot of posters, but in the local area these differences matter a lot and are subject to a lot of discussion and social/political action.

When I went to high school here, for instance, all religious symbols other than the Latin cross were dubbed satanic and students found wearing them were suspended or expelled. A young man who's family had fled the Soviet Union to avoid sectarian persecution was wearing a Star of David and the most celebrated victim of the policy at my school.

In some ways, sect helps determine local ethnicity and class. My family is Catholic, for instance, and we have all had a very different experience of local ethnic construction than our peers. Things aren't so set in stone for us as they are for other groups, and we are often allied with certain subsets of the local Hispanic community both by choice and by others. My sister often encounters comments that she "doesn't look Catholic." Similarly, joining the right local church is often seen as 'step up.'

Last edited:

3d6

Explorer
Everyone I've ever gamed with has been white. (A rather sickly, pasty, need-to-get-outside-more white, too.)

Sixchan

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:

There certainly isn't anything to be afraid of, but in the local area ethnically diverse generally means a diversity of points of view, social priorities, personalities, and personal behavior. So it's a really nice and interesting experience when it happens.

Does anyone here think sectarian differences are signficant? In my current scene they certainly are, though I wouldn't guess that it is as bad as it is in other areas.

The local sectarian breakdowns are, in terms of rough social priority: conservative Protestants, liberal Protestants, Roman Catholics, assorted 'Hippie' non or lax believers, Jews, devout atheists, really liberal protestants, and Muslims and other locally very small sects.

This may sound kind of quaint to a lot of posters, but in the local area these differences matter a lot and are subject to a lot of discussion and social/political action.

When I went to high school here, for instance, all religious symbols other than the Latin cross were dubbed satanic and students found wearing them were suspended or expelled. A young man who's family had fled the Soviet Union to avoid sectarian persecution was wearing a Star of David and the most celebrated victim of the policy at my school.

In some ways, sect helps determine local ethnicity and class. My family is Catholic, for instance, and we have all had a very different experience of local ethnic construction than our peers. Things aren't so set in stone for us as they are for other groups, and we are often allied with certain subsets of the local Hispanic community both by choice and by others. My sister often encounters comments that she "doesn't look Catholic." Similarly, joining the right local church is often seen as 'step up.'

Sectarian groups are important enough to some people in Glasgow. So much so that they'll murder each other purely on that basis. :(

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
I don't really see people as races, but in my game, it's me (white female of East European background) and 5 white guys (of various European backgrounds). One of them comes from a racially mixed family.

I do however have two close friends, both female, one of whom is black and the other is hispanic, who are both very intriqgued by D&D, one of them used to play.

~Sheri

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Dr. Strangemonkey said:

I think they're probably significant where I live too, but I'm largely untouched by them. Among my friends, gamers and nongamers, most of us would be atheist if we cared enough to give it any thought. I do have one extremely religious (born-again type) friend, but I haven't seen or talked to her since I told her about D&D. She may not be my friend anymore, I'm not sure.

Around my gaming table we have two besides me who I know to be non-practicing heathen, two who I think might be lapsed protestant of some sort, two who I have no clue about and one who is a Roman Catholic of unknown devoutness. We play on Sunday, so I guess it isn't much of an issue for her.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
My first gaming group was pretty much all white guys, metalheads in JHS. I was the lone black guy in the group. Since then I've introduced many a player to D&D and other role playing games.

My present group is almost the exact opposite of my first, my buddy Jason is the only white guuy in the group with three black guys.

I've only gamed with a female once. The ladies I know dont understand the game and dont wanna understand the game. I do think that my wife is a little curious though.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
s/LaSH said:

(New Zealand, if you're interested. I reckon we're probably the last mass-settled country on the planet - 150 years ago there was a booming business in shipping British colonists here. The indigenous Maori were outnumbered quite a bit, I believe. Other immigration hasn't been fierce enough to edge us pakeha (white folks) out of the majority yet.)

2050 s/LaSH - most trend analysis says by 2050 European in NZ will be the minority (and Maori the majority by a slim margin). Possibly as soon as 2020 depending on how the immigration policies pan out - you white folk just don't breed fast enough:D...

Gossamerblade

First Post
The group I game with is human, although the dog likes to make his opinion known......(and there's this guy in another group that's possibly elven......)

All the guys are of similar background and most were friends from school.

There are a couple of Catholics, a few Protestants, a couple of Pagans, and an unkown (seems to be agnostic, but could be aethist). Oh, and the dog, who believes in being fed.

Remove ads