Races & Classes

Khaalis

Adventurer
The cost increase for such products in Canada (and similar in other countries) has nothing to do with the product's value itself or the company wanting to make more money in said country or even the value of the "Dollar" (though value of the dollar is sometimes part of the equation). The real reason for the price difference is the fact that there are various other financial factors involved that are not dealt with here in the US. These factors include the fact that these items are considered an "import" in Canada.

This means that the product's shipper has to deal with the following increases in selling costs for Canada, thus the higher price point.

* Customs Duties (this is a % cost bases on the type of product, amount being imported, etc.)

* Goods and Services Tax (GST) (All commercial goods entering Canada are subject to customs duty and the goods and services tax.)

* Customs Broker Fees (This is similar in many ways to a legal protection to make sure all your documentation is in order and that the correct fees are paid. Very few businesses do NOT use a broker.)

* 'Canadian Post' processing fees (This is a standard fee - $5.00 processing fee ($8.00 for Priority Post) for each package to clear Canada Customs).

These are just a few of the things involved when a US company sells a product for a higher price in Canada than in the US, and often why many Canadians (who live near the border) come to the US to shop and try to get goods back into Canada undeclared.

For more detailed information you can go here: Canada Border Services Agency

GSHamster

Adventurer
Don't forget that the price on the book doesn't reflect the current exchange rate, but rather the exchange rate of several months ago (whenever the book was laid out).

I don't really think anyone was anticipating the Canadian dollar to overtake the American dollar back then.

Lord Xtheth said:
You do realize it cost's money to ship things over the boarder right? I mean I know theres the whole free trade thing... but Gas costs money too.
I don't know where WotC prints their books, but the 2nd biggest RPG company White Wolf has their books printed in Quebec, by a company that I think is called Quebecor.

It's very likely that WotC might also have their books printed by that same company. And if that's so, then the books are getting printed in Canada, then getting shipped to the US for distribution, before getting shipped back to Canada again...

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
From what I understand, the reason it costs more in Canada is because there's an extra middleman taking profits before the customer can buy the product. WotC sells it to an american distributor who marks it up a certain amount. That distributor then sells it to another canadian distributor who marks it up, and then it winds up at the stores.

Scribble

First Post
Don't forget the added cost of the Canadian translator...

"This book is all aboot races and classes eh... Kind of like those books about coaching strategies for hockey."

:]

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Markn said:
I, for one, would like to hear what the extra costs are for WotC to sell items in Canada, at least so I can understand some of the reasons for the price difference. So, if any WotC people happen to look at this thread, a reply would be appreciated.

Wake up. It is price-gouging. There is no explanation/rationalization for anything else. In the past, canadian money was worth a lot less, and pricing conventions always had Canadians pay more of their money for an American product for that reason. When the canadian dollar got stronger, manufacturers saw no reason to break w/ tradition of charging canadians more money. Call it an import tax if you want to, but it is price-gouging because your only alternative is to buy it in the USA...

Many Canadian retailers are now selling products at American prices, because they're afraid that Canadians are going to shop online instead.

It's possible that the nearest comic book store to where I live will be selling RPG books at American prices, because they're already selling comicbooks at American prices.

Khaalis

Adventurer
epochrpg said:
Wake up. It is price-gouging. There is no explanation/rationalization for anything else. In the past, canadian money was worth a lot less, and pricing conventions always had Canadians pay more of their money for an American product for that reason. When the canadian dollar got stronger, manufacturers saw no reason to break w/ tradition of charging canadians more money. Call it an import tax if you want to, but it is price-gouging because your only alternative is to buy it in the USA...
This is rubbish. It has nothing to do with Price Gouging. I have quite a few Canadian friends that come here (NY) often and shop. Short of "smuggling" goods back across the border, they MUST pay Import Tax, Goods & Service Tax, AND their Regional Sales Taxes (Ontario in this case) on ANY item they purchase in the US. In the end, this comes to a price often higher than if they simply bought it in a Canadian store at Canadian pricing. This ISN'T just on books either. It involves all goods from food to clothing, etc. Media such as CDs/DVDs are even worse because they have a Royalties Tax that is paid on top of everything else. This is why there are fewer and fewer US companied doing business in Canada. If you think companied get taxed in the US you haven't seen anything compared to the Canadian tax machine. The simple fact of the matter is that it is simply more expensive to Export goods to Canada, thus the increased price points.

Remove ads