• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Races of Destiny: Radiant Fire feat

coyote6

Adventurer
One of the new feats in Races of Destiny is Radiant Fire; it's an Initiate feat, for clerics of Pelor. It, like all such feats, gives a little mechanical benefit (+2 insight bonus to damage vs. evil targets, in this case), and adds spells to the cleric's list of spells known. Here's the spells: scorching ray, and summon monster III, V, VI, & VIII (all only for summoning fire creatures).

Am I missing something, or is that not stupid? Summon monster I-IX are already on every cleric's spell list, and they can use 'em to summon fire creatures (as long as said fire creatures aren't of an opposed alignment). Is there some clever, subtle, important difference I'm not seeing? I don't see anything that lets the cleric, say, ignore alignments (thus allowing the cleric to summon evil salamanders or whatever). So . . . any ideas?

I wonder what custserv@wizards.com will say.

Sue Bloodbucket

First Post
I havent got that book mentioned, but I do have a question.

Is this feat just for clerics? Or can a favoured soul take it too? That would be somewhat powerfull I guess. At least the summonthing would make sense.

kind regards
Sue "missing something" Bloodbucket

Thanee

First Post
When it only adds the spells to the spell list, that's really not so good as it sounds for the Favored Soul.

Much like why Arcane Disciple isn't very useful for sorcerers.

Bye
Thanee

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Does Summon Monster limit what you can get based on your alignment? Maybe the feat lets you get fire elementals (neutral) even if you're lawful good.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I'm more concerned about Scorching Ray and the +2 damage vs evil than the summoning spells. Those are pretty good benefits without anything else at all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads