• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Races of Faerun - Lythari?

Knightcrawler

First Post
I was looking through the RoF and purusing the lycanthropes section. I noticed that one of them listed was Lythari ands that they were equivalent to werewolves just of good alignment. A thread on the WotC boards said something about the Lythari being a obscure race of elves. It was aid that they were in the 2E supplement Elves of Evermeet. Anyone know anything about them or know if their in any 3E supplements. The info in RoF is extremely vague.

I am rather embarassed because I don't remember them from 2E.

ArcOfCorinth

First Post
They're mentioned briefly in Monsters of Faerun.

They're chaotic good elf-werewolves that lack a hybrid form. They can only transmit their "curse" to consenting elves.

Knightcrawler

First Post
Thanks, found that. Anyone know if theres any more info on them in any 3E supplements or should I get the Elves of Evermeet and just use the info from there. There's so little info on them in 3E that is frustrating and they would make a nice addition to a plot point in my campaign.

maransreth

Explorer
As far as i know, they are not detailed in any other 3e FR product. However you could check out Elaine Cunningham's second Harper novel with the half-elf assassin (sorry can't remember it's name at the moment, Dreamspheres?) as they are mentioned in there with some living in Tethyr.

They were detailed in Elves of Evermeet and also one of the MC Annuals, but also vague on that one.

The Little Raven

First Post
They are usually green elves (wild elves), with the werewolf template tossed on top of them. They are more reclusive than other elves, more likely to spend time among the fey creatures of the woods than other elves. They are usually chaotic good (or neutral good) in alignment, because they accept the wild nature of the beast within them. They pass on their lycanthropy through rituals.

Also, as stated, they have no hybrid form. They are elves that can naturally turn into wolves.

Mahtan

First Post
Lythari

There are references to the Lythari in Races of Fearun, and Monsters of Fearun. They both say to apply the Lycanthrope template to wood elves so this is what i can up with.

Lythari[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Abilities and Racial Features [/FONT]​

• [FONT=&quot]+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, + 2 Wisdom, -2Constitution. Lythari are strong but slight, and tend to be more wise and intuitive than other elves. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot] Wolf form bonus stats +2Strength, + 4 Dexterity, +4 Constitution.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Medium: As Medium creatures, lythari have no special bonuses or penalties to their size. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Lythari base land speed is 30 feet.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Wolf base land speed is 50 feet.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Natural Armor: Lythari gain +2natural armor.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]B.A.B: +1[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Racial HD: 2d8 [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Racial Skill Points: (2+ Int. Score) X 5[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Damage reduction: 10/ silver in wolf form. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Low-Light Vision: Lythari can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sent(Su): A Lythari [/FONT][FONT=&quot]gains a +4 racial bonus to Wilderness Lore checks when tracking by scent[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Weapon Proficiency: Elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Lyconthropic Empathy: Lythari can communicate and empathize with wolves and dire wolves. This gives them a + 4 bonus to on checks to influence the animals attitudes, and allows lythari to communicate simple concepts and (if the animal is friendly) commands to the animal such as, “friend,” “foe,” “flee,” “attack.” [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]“Curse” of Lycanthropy: Lythari can only pass on their lycanthropy to other elves, and only a special ritual preformed with the complete consent of both parties. Leaves a wolf bite scar.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot] Alternate Form(Su): Lythari can alter there from to a wolf at will. Upon assuming wolf form, the Lythari regains hit points as if resting a full day. If slain, Lythari reverts to it’s humanoid form, though it remains dead. A part of the body that is separated from the whole retains it’s animal form , however. In wolf form gain +3 Fortitude, +3 Reflex on there base saves. [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Trip (Ex): A lythari that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the lythari.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]+4 racial bonus on Listen, Spot and +2 Search checks. An Lythari who passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a search check to notice it as if they were actively looking for it. A lythari's senses are so keen that they practically have a sixth sense about hidden portals.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Wolf Skill: Listen, Spot.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Racial feats: Track, Weapon Focus (Bite), Iron Will.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Elven Blood: For all special abilities and effects, a lythari is considered an elf. Lythari for example, can use or create elven weapons and magic items with racially specific elven powers if they were elves.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Lythari males range in height from 4'10" to 6'6", and weigh anywhere from 100 lbs to 260 lbs. Female lythari range in height from 4'5" to 6'1", and weigh anywhere from 80 lbs to 240 lbs. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Lythari reach adulthood at 110 years and can reach a maximum of about 750 years. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Automatic Languages: Common, Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Favoured class: Rangers[/FONT]

Thanael

Explorer
In 3E the difference to elven werewolves is that they are not CE. (In 2e the animal form was a bit different from standard lycanthropes iirc, and they got no hybrid form. I would personally keep that in 3E)

The novel Frostfell offers some intriguing tidbits on a lythari tribe in the Far North of the Realms.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads