• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Races of Faerun... ummm.. yawn?

GBDeluxe

First Post
I have all Forgotten Realms books released for 3e, but I think I'll pass on this one. I mean.. is it just me, or could anyone care less about this? I just don't see great potential in it, and I think when this books falls on it's face, wotc/hasbro execs will see this as a lack of interest in FR in general, not in it being just a plain boring book.
my two cents

EricNoah

Adventurer
I'll be interested to see what is in each race entry -- if it's just a compilation of stats/info from other sources, then I can see where that wouldn't be all that interesting. If it goes further into detail on the races, especially the lesser known ones, then I think it might be very interesting.

Neo

Explorer
I'm actually quite looking forward to this book, you can never have enough extra race info, or racial feats, PRC's etc....

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
GBDeluxe said:
I have all Forgotten Realms books released for 3e, but I think I'll pass on this one. I mean.. is it just me, or could anyone care less about this? I just don't see great potential in it, and I think when this books falls on it's face, wotc/hasbro execs will see this as a lack of interest in FR in general, not in it being just a plain boring book.
my two cents

I'm fairly indifferent. I mean, on one hand, extended information on the races in the FRCS wouldn't be a bad thing — the descriptions are kind of short in there. At the same time, the sheer number of new sub-races seems kind of like overkill. That and the idea that I somehow need information on half-elven sub-types. How many races does one campaign setting really need?

Of course, it could be really well done, with lots of neat information and what not about the races. I'd hope to see the latter.

Best,
tKL

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It has great potential...but, then, so did Deities and Demigods.

I'm more interested in what happened to the Prestige Races I was hearing about....didn't these guys plan on having some? Or did Oathbound beat them to the punch?

Or am I just bloomin' off my keel?

Signed -- "Mad Jack Bonney"

cousin_avi

First Post
From where I stand, this should be a solid product. First off, I dm a group of 5 players, two of which strongly dislike the realms yet after looking over my copies of the campaign book and the monsters of Faerun and some of the adventures, they bought them because the quality was so great. Even forgetting the regions they still found a lot of material they could use in their own games. It seems that all of the FR books have been extremely well done. Which doesn't surprise me as the realms is WOTC most popular setting and naturally they would want all their books of high quality. I would keep an open mind, thats all, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
You hear that, Doug? I'm comin' to London!

[hijack] cousin_avi — nice handle! [/hijack]

And, actually, I should add that if I were to buy this, it would be to hijack stuff from it — in the event that I ever run another game anytime soon, I think I'm going homebrew, but there is a lot of very useful stuff in the FR supplements.

Best,
tKL

Dark Psion

First Post
I was interested in it till I read this:
------------------------------------------------------
Introduction
- New Regions
-How to Read an Entry
-Level Adjustments and ECL

Chapter One: Dwarves
-Arctic Dwarf
-Gold Dwarf
-Gray Dwarf
-Shield Dwarf
-Urdunnir
-Wild Dwarf

Chapter Two: Elves
-Aquatic Elf
-Avariel
-Drow
-Moon Elf
-Sun Elf
-Wild Elf
-Wood Elf

Chapter Three: Gnomes
-Deep Gnome
-Forest Gnome
-Rock Gnome

Chapter Four: Half-elves
-Half-drow
-Half-aquatic elf

Chapter Five: Half-orcs and Orcs
-Gray Orc
-Half-orc
-Mountain Orc
-Orog

Chapter Six: Halflings
-Ghostwise Halfling
-Lightfoot Halfling
-Strongheart Halfling

Chapter Seven: Humans
-Calishiite (Had to add an extra i for Eric's grandma)
-Chondathan
-Damaran
-Illuskan
-Mulan
-Rashemi
-Tethyrian
-Other Human Ethnic Groups

Chapter Eight: Planetouched
-Aasimar
-Air Genasi
-Earth Genasi
-Fey'ri
-Fire Genasi
-Tanarukk
-Tiefling
-Water Genasi

Chapter Nine: Minor Races
-Aarakocra
-Centaur
-Goblinoids
-Goblin
-Hobgoblin
-Bugbear
-Dekanter Goblin
-Kir-lanan
-Lizardfolk
-Lycanthrope
--Lythari and Werewolf
--Werebat
--Werebear
--Wereboar
--Werecat
--Werecrocodile
--Wererat
--Wereshark
--Weretiger
-Shade
-Wemic
-Yuan-ti
-Pureblood
-Tainted One

Appendix 1: Monsters of Faerûn Level Adjustments

Appendix 2: Equipment

Appendix 3: Feats

Appendix 4: Magic Items

Appendix 5: Monsters

Appendix 6: Prestige Classes
-Battlerager
-Bladesinger
-Breachgnome
-Orc Warlord
-Skiprock Sniper
-Spellsinger

Appendix 7: Spells
--------------------------------------------------

There is nothing here I don't already have in a 2e or 3e book. Where are the Lycanthropes mentioned in old 2e Hall of Heroes?
(Werebison, Werecats, Weredogs, Weredolphins, Weredragons, Wereleopards, Wereowls, Werepanthers, & Werespiders)

What about other types of Planetouched, like the Paramental Genasi in a recent Dragon? How about expanding Aasimars and Tieflings with Aasimon-kin, Eladrin-kin, Guardinal-kin, Rilmani-kin, Tanar'ri-kin, Baatezu-kin, Gereleth-kin, Yugoloth-kin even Slaadi-kin?

rounser

First Post
I think my next character needs teh powerups from this book to win teh game. Epic Level Handbook was great, and the prestige classes from the splatbooks helped, but now I need prestige races from Races of Faerun for that extra edge. Maybe it'll have new phat lewts too.

Rules question: If my character slays all the gods from Faiths and Pantheons, do I win Forgotten Realms? Or now that Deities and Demigods is out, do I have to slay all the gods in that book as well to win the whole of D&D?

Remove ads