• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Racial Bonuses v. Class primaries

Dan'L

First Post
Let me preface this with the caveat that I understand that there are many more considerations to picking class/race combos than ability scores. I get that, I really do. I just find looking at this aspect can reveal a few things.

I compared what ability scores are most commonly pumped among non-human races with what the classes list as key:

ABILITY #RACES #CLASSES
Str 1 6
Con 2 2
Dex 3 4
Int 2 3
Wis 2 5
Cha 4 5

I find this interesting because: 1) It seems to indicate an effort to keep Charisma from being the dump-stat it's been in the past; 2) An equal effort seems to be made to downplay the importance of strength

Looking at it another way, bonuses to key abilities by race v. class key skills:
#CLASS/ #CLASS/ #CLASS/ AGGREGATE
RACE 2 KEY +2 1 KEY +2 0 KEY +2 SCORE
Dragonborn 4 3 1 11
Dwarf 2 4 2 8
Eladrin 1 5 2 7
Elf 3 3 2 9
Half-elf 1 5 2 7
Halfling 1 7 0 9
Human 0 8 0 8
Tiefling 2 4 2 8

The aggregate score is arrived at by adding up the number of ability bonuses which can potentially add to key skills.

It seems that the Dragonborn, Halflings, and Humans are designed to have the most class flexibility in 4ed, while Eladrin and Half-elfs have the least.

One more way to look, Class vs. Race:

#RACES/ #RACES/ #RACES/ AGGREGATE
CLASS 2 +2's 1 +2's 0 +2's SCORE
Cleric 1 6 1 8
Fighter 2 5 1 9
Paladin 1 6 1 8
Ranger 2 4 2 8
Rogue 2 5 1 9
Warlock 2 5 1 9
Warlord 2 4 2 8
Wizard 2 4 2 8

Taken from this perspective, there's a bit more balance in class/race choice.

-Dan'L

rhm001

First Post
Dan'L said:
Let me preface this with the caveat that I understand that there are many more considerations to picking class/race combos than ability scores. I get that, I really do. I just find looking at this aspect can reveal a few things.

I compared what ability scores are most commonly pumped among non-human races with what the classes list as key:

Code:
[U]ABILITY         #RACES     #CLASSES[/U]
Str               1               6
Con               2               2
Dex               3               4
Int               2               3
Wis               2               5
Cha               4               5

I find this interesting because: 1) It seems to indicate an effort to keep Charisma from being the dump-stat it's been in the past; 2) An equal effort seems to be made to downplay the importance of strength

Looking at it another way, bonuses to key abilities by race v. class key skills:
Code:
                   #CLASS/       #CLASS/       #CLASS/      AGGREGATE
[U]RACE          2 KEY +2         1 KEY +2       0 KEY +2       SCORE[/U]
Dragonborn        4                3               1             11
Dwarf             2                4               2              8
Eladrin           1                5               2              7
Elf               3                3               2              9
Half-elf          1                5               2              7
Halfling          1                7               0              9
Human             0                8               0              8
Tiefling          2                4               2              8

The aggregate score is arrived at by adding up the number of ability bonuses which can potentially add to key skills.

It seems that the Dragonborn, Halflings, and Humans are designed to have the most class flexibility in 4ed, while Eladrin and Half-elfs have the least.

One more way to look, Class vs. Race:

Code:
                     #RACES/        #RACES/     #RACES/           AGGREGATE
[U]CLASS                 2 +2's       1 +2's         0 +2's           SCORE[/U]
Cleric                 1             6                1                 8
Fighter                2             5                1                 9
Paladin                1             6                1                 8
Ranger                 2             4                2                 8
Rogue                  2             5                1                 9
Warlock                2             5                1                 9
Warlord                2             4                2                 8
Wizard                 2             4                2                 8

Taken from this perspective, there's a bit more balance in class/race choice.

-Dan'L

FIFY ;)

Last edited:

Christian

Explorer
bardolph said:
I don't understand your charts. You might want to try embedding [ code ] blocks
Executive summary: every class has several good choices of race that give bonuses to some of their key stats, but some races (dragonborn, human, halfling) have more viable class choices from this perspective than others (half-elf, eladrin). I'm not sure anything less obvious is established by these charts ...

Dan'L

First Post
rhm001 said:

Thanks! I had to run off to play a session, and wasn't quite sure how to fix it, anyhow.

And yes, I suppose nothing hugely revelatory was established by this, but I think that even this little bit is interesting.

And I found it useful information when considering class/race combos. I wanted to see if I could come up with a group of eight pre-gens where each race and class were covered, but still had some useful playability. I started myself with the handicap of using my existing Human Rogue, and wanted to stay away from some of the glaringly obvious (Eladrin Wizard)

Not that I used any "build" 100%, generally what I came up with:

Dragonborn Warlord - Inspiring
Dwarf Paladin of Kord - Avenging
Eladrin Ranger - 2Blade
Elf Fighter - Guardian
Half-Elf Warlock - Star Pact
Halfling Cleric of the Raven Queen - Devoted(ish)
Human Rogue - Trickster
Tiefling Wizard - War

I'm sure other combinations are possible. But the relatively unflexibility of the Eladrin and Half-Elf make for some restrictions in this.

Also, I find that in considering a party of all one race (another thread) that Halflings and Human parties seem the best choice, with Dragonborn close behind. (You'd be missing out on your controller, though, so maybe not.)

Really, just an exercise in crunch that I thought I'd share :)

-Dan'L

Remove ads