• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Racial Level Limits: Did you Use Them?

Did you use racial level limits in AD&D?

• We observed the limits in all our games.

Votes: 22 18.3%
  • We observed them in all our games, but exceptions were possible.

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • We observed them in some games, not in others.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • We used modified limits.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • We didn't observe limits.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • We didn't reach the limits.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I don't know were to place my mark!

Votes: 5 4.2%

They were dumb, but we used them, although it never mattered because our characters never lived long enough to explore said limits. The only result seemed to be encouraging a large number of demi-human thieves.

dagger

Adventurer
In 1e characters in our game leveled (and still do) about the same rate as they do in 3e/PF up until around 10th or so. We put all the magic item/treasure XP into a pot to split among the party along with monster/adventure XP.

I like the level limits and don't think they are dumb at all.

Hussar

Legend
Still the different options observe/change/ignore are all represented with a good number of voters each. When Monte Cook's opinion - the way the rules are written influences the way the game is played - would be true, I'd expect a larger number of cases where the gamers observed the rule.

The result of the poll at least strengthens my gut feeling that gamers decide against the rules when they see fit. :cool:

Well, again, according to your poll, at least 55% of gamers used the rules some to all the time. Only 25% outright ignored the rules.

When 3:1 use the rules, I'd say it's pretty strong evidence that the way the rules are written influence the way the game is played.

Heh, try this one next: how many people used 1e Initiative rules as written. :D

avin

First Post
I wouldn't call them silly. They aren't for everyone and the game has a completely different focus back then then it does now even with the retro clones.

Sure, but even at that time I thought it was silly to go further in some class because you were race x or "you can't be a gnome paladin" :-S

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Well, again, according to your poll, at least 55% of gamers used the rules some to all the time. Only 25% outright ignored the rules.

When 3:1 use the rules, I'd say it's pretty strong evidence that the way the rules are written influence the way the game is played.

Well, if I'd say the way the rules are written didn't have any influence I'd stop buying rulebooks altogether... The nice feature of such a poll is that, as you've remarked before, each person can interpret it to her own delight and thus strengthen his own position. Suffice to say that I'm satisfied with the results I see.;)

Heh, try this one next: how many people used 1e Initiative rules as written. :D

That'd be a complicated one, as one first would have to made sure to what extent the voters actually understood the rules. ;) And if I'd wanted to make sure that my opinion was right, I'd made a poll on the acceptance of the Weapon vs. Armor Type rules instead.

Remove ads