• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Radiant Servant of Pelor?

stringbean

First Post
Any suggestions on how to balance this baby? It seems a bit power-heavy to me.....

I have a player who REALLY wants the concept, but I don't like the power level as compared to other PrC's...

Thanks in advance.

String

she probably likes the concept and the power upgrade.

+1 spellcasting and superior turning and increased healing is ridiculous.

the character is essentially a divine agent, so look at the divine agent in motp.

• +1 spellcasting levels in divine magic every even level
    turning undead advancement at every level
    give faith healing benefits instead of the empower & maximize ones.

• that's off the top off my head. i'll check the class out later.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
It's not actually as bad as it looks. The increased healing only applies to the Servant's Healing Domain spells, not other cure spells and such he may cast, so it's less effective than it seems at first. The divine health ability is for the most part negligible to someone who we know already gets remove disease. And the d6 hit die means that at least she's giving something up.

It's a powerful prestige class, but not so much so that I've felt the need to tinker. If I were going to, I probably confine myself to moving the extra Greater Turning a bit later and having 8th level (which grants the Positive Energy Burst and bonuses to everything but Reflex saves) not grant +1 spellcaster level.

If I were going to tinker even more than that, I'd cut the third domain, in which case I'd choose that level as the one to move the extra Greater Turning to.

Last edited:

Dr_Rictus

First Post
It's also worth noting that rumor has it that Knowledge (undead) may be getting folded into Knowledge (religion) in 3.5e, in which case you have to decide what to do with the 3 ranks of Knowledge (undead) requirement. There are lots of options:

* Stay at 6 ranks of (religion)
* Total the rank requirements: 9 ranks of (religion)
* Total the skill point requirements: 12 ranks (!) of (religion)
* Replace the Knowledge (undead) requirement with something else, like maybe Knowledge (the planes) or Skill Focus (Knowledge (religion)).
* Get really crazy and require Favored Enemy: Undead or something.

Me, I'd probably keep it simple and change it to 3 ranks of Knowledge (the planes).

Last edited:

Chun-tzu

First Post
I think it's definitely overpowered. It gets full spelcasting and undead turning, and extra powers as well, at the low cost of (on average) 1 hit point per level (10 hp over 10 levels). That's pretty cheap.

I'd cut the BAB to Wizard advancement. That's it. It's still a bit overpowered, but no more so than a bunch of other PrCs.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Chun-tzu said:
I think it's definitely overpowered. It gets full spelcasting and undead turning,

Which, of course, you would get if you stayed a cleric...

and extra powers as well, at the low cost of (on average) 1 hit point per level (10 hp over 10 levels). That's pretty cheap.

... so actually this is the only stuff that matters when comparing it to the cleric.

The "extra powers" are good, but not all that great. It's definitely better than staying with cleric levels, but not tremendously much so.

I'd cut the BAB to Wizard advancement. That's it.

Which, of course, only makes a pretty modest difference of 2 points of BAB over the life of the pretige class. So I'd say that's a pretty reasonable change for what you get.

Really, overall, the most powerful thing about Radiant Servant is that it's based on cleric. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads