• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Raging Caster Feat (help)

Theocrat

First Post
Hi all -
I have just created a Barbarian 1 / Druid 1 character. As I realized during last nights game, I would need healing in the middle of combat, but I was raging. I didn't see anything that specifically said that I couldn't cast spells while raging, but that doesn't mean that I can either.
So I wondered if there is a rule against casting spells while raging. If there are rules against casting spells while raging (I'm not worried about armor and other penalties, as I don't wear armor and not worried about casting while shapeshifted [using the PHB2 option]).
I reviewed all the feats I could find in WotC books, AEG, FFG, and even a couple mongoose books. With all the Dragon Magazines I haven't been able to review them to see if there is something there. But I thought I'd ask my fellow gamers.
So is there something that will let me cast spells (divine/druidic) while in my barbarian rage somewhere in the d20 world? Even if it's a PDF publisher. If there are multiple options out there, I'd love to know about them. If there aren't any feats that allow what I'm thinking - is there a build template that seems plausible? I'd prefer a feat that was usable at 1st level, since that's where I have my slot open, but if it requires another feat to back it up, I'm OK with that as well.
Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.
Theocrat Issak

drdevoid

Explorer
Rage (Ex)
A barbarian can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. In a rage, a barbarian temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the barbarian’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) ****While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function.**** He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A barbarian may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the barbarian loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 17th-level barbarian, at which point this limitation no longer applies).

Now you can end the rage prematurely, but then you'd suffer the fatigued condition. Fatigue won't affect casting too much, but would affect your melee capability.

Incidentally were you aware of the Druidic Avenger from Unearthed Arcana (a druid who rages)? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druidVariantDruidicAvenger

There's also a "Rage Mage" (CWar p72) for reference. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20031116a&page=7 **

**NOTE: This excerpt was pulled out of an early version of the manuscript, so it may have changed by the time it goes to print.

The first level would help you a little. It's really only an arcane class, but it would let you cast in rage for 1/day.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You may find what you want in one of the "spell-channelling" classes, who can cast or channel certain spells even in combat.

There is a class in CompWar called the Rage Mage which may be able to cast while raging...but, as I recall, it only works with arcane spells.

Other such classes include:

Spellsword

Suel Arcanomach

Havoc Mage

Raumathari Battlemage

Knight of the Weave

Ordained Champion

Abjurant Champion

Enlightened Fist

Spellfire Channeler

Of those, the last may be the one that works best for you.

Theocrat

First Post
Hi all -
Sorry for the delay in responding, been looking for answers via the above ideas.
The reason for "not" wanting to drop out of rage and cast a spell is that being fatigued I can cast spells but I cannot return to the rage until after the two rounds of fatigue. And as a druid (Pathfinder, but with the PHB2 option of wildshape -predator form), I have to drop out of panther form and end rage and cast a spell and the DM doesn't like that too much. Neither do I. I think that's too much for 6 seconds.

OK, so the best so far comes from Rage Mage CW72. To join the PrC, it requires a +4 BAB, combat casting and casting 2nd lvl spells. But at 1st lvl RM, there is a power "Spell Rage" which allows you to cast spells while in a rage.

So using that idea for a Spell Rage style feat - and I've never created a feat before so please tell me if I'm on the right path here and if it's too powerful, unrealistic or whatever.

Raging Caster
You can cast either arcane or divine spells while in a rage
Prerequisites: combat casting, ability to cast arcane or divine spells
Benefit: While in a rage, you can cast spells that have a casting time of no more than one full round. While casting a spell while in a rage, you become reckless an must make a concentration check to avoid having the spell disrupted as well as taking a -2 penalty to Armor Class.
Normal: While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function.

OK, what do you think? What modifications do you think should apply? I don't want to make it too powerful, but I would like to make it useble at low levels, but am looking for balance as well.
I do appreciate any assistance.
Thank you,
Theocrat Issak

-------
In His Path and Glory We Follow,
Theocrat Issak

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The reason for "not" wanting to drop out of rage and cast a spell is that being fatigued I can cast spells but I cannot return to the rage until after the two rounds of fatigue.
Ok, I assume there's some houserule in there. RAW, you can never Rage more than once in an encounter. well, there are ways, but they require some searching (like the level 2 Druid spell, "Blood Frenzy" is the name I think).

How about...

Raging Caster
You can cast most spells while in a rage or frenzy
Prerequisites: combat casting, Raqe or Frenzy class feature, caster level 3rd
Benefit: While in a rage or frenzy, you can cast spells that have a casting time of no more than one full round. You still cannot maintain concentration after casting the spell, limiting the availability of what spells you can use.
Normal: While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function.

I don't want to make it too powerful, but I would like to make it useble at low levels, but am looking for balance as well.

Well, it has to require at least a few levels gained. If you want it available much earlier than the Rage Mage PrC, it's going to have to be much weaker. I'd rather just keep it simple and at a reasonable acquiring level. I think the requirements should even possibly add BAB +4, putting the feat off-limits till level 6+, but I left it out for now. I left the casting time restrictions you made in, but I think it might be better to limit it to full round action castings or less -- ie, spells you can finish casting on your own turn, to represent the inability to hold concentration for any length of time.

EDIT: I was thinking of Wizards and Sorcerers for BAB. For your Barb/Druid, BAB +4 and CL 3 could be had as early as level 5, not a big difference.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads