D&D 4E Raiders of Oakhurst: A 4E Fan Playtest Adventure

Wormwood

Adventurer
SuperJosh said:
It will be interesting to see how 4e pans out in a PbP format as it seems alot of the movement abilities will wreck havoc on the players when they post a move only to find the board has changed since they posted it.
I also imagine that "Immediate Actions" (reactions and interrupts) could be problematic in a PbP environment.

SuperJosh

First Post
Wormwood said:
I also imagine that "Immediate Actions" (reactions and interrupts) could be problematic in a PbP environment.

Yea it is almost like WotC made it hard to PbP so that you would opt to pay for their "virtual tabletop" instead... naaaaah they would never do that.:)

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
SuperJosh said:
Yea it is almost like WotC made it hard to PbP so that you would opt to pay for their "virtual tabletop" instead... naaaaah they would never do that.:)
No, the reason for these abilities is pretty much stated in R&C and W&M. They thought that the ability to stop attacks from hitting you on the fly or teleporting away at the last second added a lot of depth to combat in 3e once immediate actions had been in the game for a while.

So, they kept them in 4e.

Also, they tried to figure out how a single monster could be as big a threat as a bunch of monsters were. They originally went with a D&D minis solution to the problem. The dragon minis they released got to act multiple times each round and it seemed to make up for the fact that there was only one creature on the board. However, they found that it didn't work when monsters could delay or ready. So instead they went for a solution that involved immediate actions and triggered actions. Thus allowing it to act during its own turn and then again on the players' turns.

I doubt they considered either PbP games OR the virtual game table when designing it.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I'm going to run this in the next few days, but I have a few questions.

The first is about powers. How many per encounter powers can a PC use in any given encounter? I couldn't find that info (sorry if it's already in this thread).

Second, is there a way to print out the maps at 100% size? My computer automatically fits the maps onto one page and I'd like to "force" it to print them out at regular size. (I'm using a Mac if that helps).

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Jonathan Moyer said:
I'm going to run this in the next few days, but I have a few questions.

The first is about powers. How many per encounter powers can a PC use in any given encounter? I couldn't find that info (sorry if it's already in this thread).

Second, is there a way to print out the maps at 100% size? My computer automatically fits the maps onto one page and I'd like to "force" it to print them out at regular size. (I'm using a Mac if that helps).

A PC could use all their encounter powers in an encounter. Once per power per encounter (unless the power description says something different). No limit that I know of. They can then recover all those powers with a 5 minute rest once the encounter is over and have them ready to use in the next encounter.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Dragonblade said:
A PC could use all their encounter powers in an encounter. Once per power per encounter (unless the power description says something different). No limit that I know of. They can then recover all those powers with a 5 minute rest once the encounter is over and have them ready to use in the next encounter.
Interesting. It seems slightly imbalanced to me, as some PCs have more encounter powers than others. But I guess we'll see how it works out.

Final Attack

First Post
Played last night. Had fun.

I added my own RP section on the front end involving basically:

A great war against a dark army lead by Omega a red wyrm is over. After Omega is slain the dark creatures of his army are dispersed. The cities of man are now points of light in a dark world recovering from war ;)

The war over many soilders look to the future, look for work. The PCs are one of these soliders. Competition for work is vicious, so they take what they can and take a delivery job to a small town called Karm.

The game starts the morning before they reach the town as they are startled awake by a tree falling near their camp. They get to town, are halted by the town drunk who has been given work as a guard to keep him out of trouble.

Without getting too much into detail they meet the town mayor, Briyan. They give him the package (since it was for him). They look around and the town is preparing for a festival (very typical fantasy winternight festival). Everyone is light hearted and excited about the festival which is that night. All except a half elve who leans against a wall amongst shadow eyeing the PCs and the mayor. The mayor goes to talk to him and they argue.

PCs have fun talking to the NPCs I set up, and some make friends others cause mischief (typical to my players style).

Night comes and PCs begin drinking, eating, and get conned (in a friendly manner) into gambling at a game I invented called "7's". The halfling Paladin (friendly guy) joins some of the villages on stage and participates in a play. The play is a reinactment of the war against Omega. It results in a funny preformance as the Paladin 'corin' is quite naive. During the play a REAL goblin appears amongst the pretend ones and fires against a boy near Corin. Corin gets a total of 20 in his reflex save and manages to push the boy out of the way and avoid the bolt himself.

Its at this point the man from the shadows who argued with the mayor comes onto stage and pulls him off. The mayor comes. They find that the dark character knew about the threat, and the mayor was trying to cover it up for the festival.

The mayor lost for what to do begs the PCs to eliminate the threat.

COMBAT TIME!

They arrive at the cave opening. Ranger scouts, but on seeing the first 3 goblins sitting around he fires. The alarm is sounded and the other PCs quickly join him. Goblin after goblin goes down. Varkaze appears, but his lance misses every round.

One of the skirmishers escapes to warn Meepo. The spider is ready and attacks the Ranger as he scouts into the room, leaping from the ceiling. He takes a first hit. After initative is rolled the spider gets first turn again. He uses his special death leap and drops the Ranger.

They recover from this position, and they kill the spider. They find the secret passage and enter the dragons lair.

I didn't want to have Meepo and the Dragon in the same fight, as I assumed the dragon wouldn't be happy to see Meepo and kills him before the PCs come in. On investigating the body of Meepo the Dragon comes from the water and breaths acid onto them, but missing everyone. It takes some time, but the dragon kills drops everyone except the Ranger. The ranger runs to the opening ledge. I say that the drop on the otherside is like a 6 story building and he will die if he jumps. The dragon swims through the water and blocks him from getting past (without a tumble check). They fight. The dragon gets AOs and normal attacks, but the Ranger is too agile and jumps all over the place avoiding the dragons bite. Annoyed the dragon just bull rushes (shoulder charges) the Ranger to knock him off the edge. The ranger grabs onto his leg as the dragon pushes him through (rolls a 20 ... of course). Now the dragon ascends higher and higher with the Ranger holding on for dear life. The dragon spins and trys to dislodge the annoyance. He does, but as the ranger falls he lets loose an arrow upward and hits the dragon (I ask for appropriate checks), I allow one more, though I say its getting VERY hard to hit him he lets one more arrow loose, but it misses.

The Riadoan (??) the ranger falls hard into a tree bare of leaves and is impailed. In the ranger has a few moments to look at his injury before the arrow that missed comes back down and pierces his throat.

It was pretty fun.

QUESTIONS:
Acid damage - when do they take acid damage? On the dragons turn? At the start of their turn? After they get an attack? If its at the start of their turn it means that PCs are often dead, they just don't know it until their turn starts. "take 5 acid" "ok I'm unconcious, great ..." Its a let down on their turn.

Darkness - Blocks line of sight (can't be targeted by ranged?) and blinds melee (massive negs for melee)

This means that every turn the dragon casts darkness and can't be targeted by spells, arrows, and the fighter blinded getting hit with a tail until he is dead? Unless the dragon doesn't recharge (which can be infrequent)

Last edited:

eleran

First Post
Final Attack said:
QUESTIONS:
Acid damage - when do they take acid damage? On the dragons turn? At the start of their turn? After they get an attack? If its at the start of their turn it means that PCs are often dead, they just don't know it until their turn starts. "take 5 acid" "ok I'm unconcious, great ..." Its a let down on their turn.

Taking Your Turn

Start of your turn: This happens before you act. You take ongoing damage and regenerate, and any effects that occur on your turn happen at this point if they do not specify another time.

Actions on Your Turn: You can take your minor, move, and standard action here as well as any free actions or spending an action point. Occasionally, someone else will take a free action.

End of Your Turn: Roll saving throws and end certain effects now.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Jonathan Moyer said:
Interesting. It seems slightly imbalanced to me, as some PCs have more encounter powers than others. But I guess we'll see how it works out.
On second thought, it doesn't seem so bad to me now. The cleric and paladin seemed like they got extra powers, but really the "extras" are alternative uses of the same power (namely, Channel Divinity). They do seem like they will have more options, but not necessarily more per encounter powers.

Klaus

First Post
I took the liberty of using Olgar's and Xorn's files and putting them together as a formatted PDF. It's 7 pages long, with 1.2 Mb. Since I knew an artist around these parts ( ;) ), I used a couple of pictures to help with the formatting (but then I had to change the description of the hobbos from green- to orange-skinned).

Enjoy!

http://www.enworld.org/Pozas/raiders_of_oakhurst.pdf

Remove ads