• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Railroading... but not really

Have you used the lightning rail for a fight scene?

Dr Simon

Explorer
I haven't run an Eberron-based game, so no.

But I have run Horror on the Orient Express, for Call of Cthulhu. Imagine the entire train possessed by Nyarlathotep, one carriage that seems to be a mediaeval cathedral and a decaying vampire scurrying along the outside (sadly, not all at once). Good fun though!

Frostmarrow

First Post
I've had two fights in trains so far. In the first the PCs were attacked at night in their sleeping compartment by cultist who wanted to steal an idol. That was cool, not on top of course but pulpy in a From Russia with Love kind of way.

The second time the PCs assaulted a train guarded by german shepards and encountered Emerald Claws and zombies. The action went on top briefly as you can always disappear from one end of a train car and reappear in the other end. Handy when the corridor is chock full of fleash-eating zombies.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
It didn't come up when my Spelljammer PCs were 'discovering' Eberron for the Known Spheres.

They were to busy crashing their ship, hiring another, crashing it, and then being forced to accept the charity of a local space expedition that foolishly recruited them for their 'expertise...' :confused:

sniffles

First Post
Yes, done it (as player) and enjoyed it.

My character was the only one actually fighting on top of the lightning rail, though. The rest of the party were inside the carriage.

It's a great cinematic opportunity, as is having an airship battle. I would think most players who enjoy action movies would like an opportunity to have a combat on the roof of a lightning rail carriage. :)

WetWombat

First Post
Ye...er, no.

I've not used the rail, mainly because my PC's have never ridden it.

That said, I did start my Eberron game out on an airship. With an attack by kobolds. In ornithopters. Dropping sleeping gas and anti-magic spiked mines to disable the elemental ring, cloud keel, and controls.

Much fun, much fun. ;)

THE Wombat! (Only wet, 'cause Wombat was here first.) :confused:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I am not running an Eberron game.

That said, damn straight I have had fights on top of trains in the Iron Kingdoms! And a chase between a slow moving switcher locomotive and a handcar (the PCs in the lead on the handcar). And a secret battle inside the train (where neither side wanted the fight to be noticed....)

Why should I not do so should I ever run Eberron? :)

The Auld Grump

Ealli

First Post
We used the lightning rail in one session to get from the middle of the continent to the edge, but we had no encounter on it. We barely had a scene, and even that scene was played up when I wrote the story.

Remove ads