• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rain River Rafting

CapnZapp

Legend
In the module The Risen Mists, there's an appendix by Ruty Rutenberg that details an alternative form of travel up the Olung river to reach the lost city of Hisari.

Only problem is, I don't get it. Like, at all.

How can it help to raft flashfloods when you travel upstream?

And how can it help when Hisari is nowhere near River Olung?

I realize Mr Rutenberg himself is best equipped to answer these questions, but I am neither on Facebook nor on Twitter, and his website is down, and I can't find any email.

So perhaps he frequents EN World, or somebody with access to the module does. Or perhaps somebody could ask him on Twitter, or something like that.

Thank you for any suggestions.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
Well, Olung is the closest river to Hisari; depending on one's starting location, it might make sense to take it.

In terms of the other question, have you tried asking in the Discussion section for the product on DMsGuild? The main author of the module appears to be responsive to questions there.

CapnZapp

Legend
Well, I guess I'll simply ignore that appendix as if it was never there, then.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
OK he replied, here it is:

Ruty Rutenberg said:
Flash floods can do a good deal of things; like change the direction of/or override a river entirely or create new avenues as the water level rises. Typically, a flash flooding doesn’t doesn’t always care where your local currents lead, especially currents as languid as Chults. It’s a tool that allows DMs to shape the world in the way they need to facilitate a story. Creating mechanics for that on the fly aren’t especially for new DMs. If you’re old hat, then you either don’t need it or see the ways it can be bent to your will. The intent for adding it to the supplement, is that it would encourage people to open their minds to think outside the normal parameters and use plausible elements of Nature to enhance their storytelling. At least, that was what was our hope. I hope the explanation helps?

Daern

Explorer
Flash floods definitely don't make a river go backwards. That's silly. Tidal changes would. Sounds like someone didn't playtest or plays with players who don't much care. That's fine, but it can be tough for a DM to describe something like that. I think an extreme lunar event causing a massive upstream tidal surge is more evocative and makes more sense within the milieu.

CapnZapp

Legend
Apparently the author thought this was so obvious he didn't care to put this explanation in the actual module. Instead we get a slightly condescending reply.

But whatever. Thanks.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads