• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Raise Dead Issues

Dakkareth

First Post
VictorSim said:
An often used trick in my campaigns to get rare material components is for a 7th level or higher Cleric to cast Lesser Planar Ally to summon up a Mercane (see Manual of the Planes) who are interplanar merchants of magical items and components.

Victor

Cool trick ... but lesser planar binding is far better for this kind of thing - no XP cost and no chance of your deity substituting something else should it want to. Of course it's one level higher ...

But it's useful - 200 XP plus some fee for interrupting whatever the mercane was doing when you called him ... if you *really* need something it's teh way to go.

Tortoise

First Post
You could also let them discover a ring of stone skin or other magic item on the wizard they just slew and have the thing be crusted with diamond dust.

Quandry, do they keep it and leave the PC dead, do they offer it as a sacrifice to bring the PC back ... ?

Manatee

First Post
A minor correction: according to the PHB, the material component for Raise Dead is "Diamonds worth a total of at least 5,000 gp," not diamond dust.

Wraithdrit

First Post
Manatee said:
A minor correction: according to the PHB, the material component for Raise Dead is "Diamonds worth a total of at least 5,000 gp," not diamond dust.

I noticed this as well.

So does diamond dust not consist of just individual small diamonds? Really, really, small ones...

*shrug*

They went back to town. The dead player is a member of a powerful good faction, so the town Lord provided the component 'this once' and is contacting said faction for reimbursement. So the character is back, and the party is on the look out for more diamonds.

Looks like they could always buy them, as the drow they are now killing carry a lot of minor magic items the party can't use, so there will be lots of excess to be sold on the surface, exchanged for diamonds and pearls (identifies!).

- Wraith

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
hong said:
If they're at a level where they can raise dead, they can probably also teleport. The world is a small place for a high-level D&D party.

Not as small as it used to be. Now Teleport has a 100 mile/caster level distance limit and caster +1 additional being/3 caster levels (beings of large size count as 2 beings; larger count as even more).

I know my party, at least is going to have to cast 2 teleports to get the party to Dagger Falls (due to cohorts & animal companions).

Remove ads