• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Raise Dead Questions?

everchanging02

First Post
Maybe a tad OT...

I've seen a lot of good debate on <i>Raise Dead</i> and the similar Clerical spells. However, I have not seen a mention of <i>Reincarnate</i> or <i>True Reincarnate</i> in the thread (and if I missed it, I'm sorry).
Given, <i>Reincarnate</i> is a more chancy spell to cast, since there is the possibility that the PC will come back as something that might not be too easily played (though, with <u>Savage Species</u> out, some difficulties can be overcome). However, it is still a very powerful spell and, sometimes, can even greatly aide the character (Pixie Rogue, anyone?).
I bring this up because, in the game I am participating, we have a Druid that can cast <i>Reincarnate</i> (but our Cleric cannot yet cast <i>Raise Dead</i>, as I recall). He had to do so, once, and the party swashbuckler (Rogue) came back as a leopard. He saw some difficulty, but eventually made due with the new form and has adapted quite nicely.
Just another view on the 'bringing players back from the dead' idea.

Edit: Trying to keep with the html tags I established.
Yay! at being top of page two!

Last edited:

Painfully

First Post
Here's an alternative cost: instead of lowering the level of the person that is raised from the dead, lower the level of the cleric casting the spell.

Now that the price to pay comes from the cleric, the decision will weigh much more heavily, and more realistically, on his shoulders. If you like, you can think of it as a transference of the cleric's positive energy.

I've also thought a geas on the raised person was a much more appropriate cost than losing a level (which really just slows down the group IMO).

There have been several threads about alternatives to the standard raise dead, especially in house rules. Do a search for them if you want more ideas.

Pylar

First Post
Raise Dead?!?!?!

I think some of you may be forgetting that this is a game. It's a hobby that we all take part in to have fun, and spend time with friends. Now from that stand point I don't have a problem with any rule/spell that enhances the enjoyability of the game. I personally hate it when a character I've worked on and seen grow, die when he fails a simple die roll. As a DM I always want to run a campaign that is for the players enjoyment. Without the raise dead/ressurection type spells I think I would have to limit myself. I would be forced to make combats way too easy, ignore traps, and fudge dice rolls. But with the raise dead cusion in place I can DM as I feel, keep my game exciting, and dangerous. Yet, still all my players to continue with the same character...even if s/he had an unfortunate end.

Arnwyn

First Post
Good ideas in this thread. I can't tell you what you should do, but I can tell you what I do:

- NPC clerics will *not* raise anyone who is not of their faith. Period.
- Even then, clerics will only raise someone of their faith if there is "unfinished business" in life. Even then, NPCs will not come back 95% of the time. The clerics are loathe to pull anyone out of the afterlife (as they are on the same plane/realm as their deity).
- PC clerics can (and obviously do) raise PCs. However, they may only raise PCs an average of 5 times at no cost before the deity begins to get uppity. The deity will yank that power if the raised PCs aren't giving the cleric/faith/deity his/her proper respect (tithing is a good example). The players know this from the very start.

I have never yanked raising dead from a player yet - the "possible restrictions" I've added just ensure the proper level of reasonable roleplaying for our personal campaign when dealing with such a power.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Keith said:

The other issues you raise Utrecht are really cool. In fact, In a world where spells are researched, what would be the next most desirable spell after raise dead and cure disease? Have to be "Halt Aging". Is there such a spell? With everything else that can be accomplished, it seems like they would have licked that one.

In every instance in D&D, such as Timeless body, etc..., it seems that you can halt the visible appearance of aging, but you still die when your time is up. Period. Death from old age cannot be prevented by magic.

Though there is that "reincarnation loophole"....

Black Omega

First Post
This is an area I've given alot of thought to. I'm running Rokugan, where Raise dead is not only socially undesirable, it's downright evil. Finally I changed this a little. The way the game is built, it seems harder for PC's to remain alive past a point. And that's with me not using Save or Die spells, which I dislike. It doesn't hurt the danger of the game, losing a level always hurts. If someone dies three times, well, he's three levels behind the others. That's enough to scare most players.;)

drnuncheon

Explorer
MerakSpielman said:

In every instance in D&D, such as Timeless body, etc..., it seems that you can halt the visible appearance of aging, but you still die when your time is up. Period. Death from old age cannot be prevented by magic.

Epic spells and feats can extend your current age category.

J

Utrecht

First Post
arnwyn said:
Good ideas in this thread. I can't tell you what you should do, but I can tell you what I do:

- NPC clerics will *not* raise anyone who is not of their faith. Period.

IMC, NPC of different faiths can certainly be persuaded to raise non-follower - for the right price - a sizable donation perhaps combined with a diplomacy check certainly loosens the npcs up. After all churches have expenses and a 1000gp donation in addition to the cost of the spell is a compelling reason to cast it...

another way of thinking about it would be purchasing indulgences. Its cheapest if you are a follower - more expensive if you are not.

Last edited:

Remove ads