• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Raising encounter limits on healing.

TheClone

First Post
I have recently had a similar experience. I nearly killed the assassin and the paladin (yesyes, it's a HOME campaign). I used some silt runner ragers (level 1 brutes) fro mthe DS monster book and from the MM 1 the hyena (level 2 skirmisher). Maybe it's an issue with MM 1, but the hyena did +7, 1d6+3 damage and when adjacent to a enemy with other +1d6. No more than that on the damage side. The silt runner did 2d6+5 by default. 4d6+4 twice per encounter plus one time 4d6+4 plus vulnerability 5 against all damage for one full turn once per encounter. And even more: If two silt runners are adjacent when an enemy starts its turn they do 2 points of damage. The AC of the silt runner is 3 points lower but HP and other defs are same.

This is a lot more than the hyena does. They are different roles, but I guess that does not explain it. Is my feeling true that the DS monsters are significantly stronger than the usual ones? That would explain why Eberron PCs have no problems defeating the same XP, with which DS PCs have a hard time.

Kannon

First Post
Silt runner ragers are notoriously evil. The Jhakar Trackers are just as bad with CA. I'm likely going to use them soon, but I plan on nerfing the crap out of them before I do.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Oddly enough, this group prefers to use second wind before leader healing if at all possible, just for the defensive bonuses.
This is going to lead to them taking a lot more damage overall, because instead of spending standard actions killing monsters a round earlier, that monster goes on to deal a couple more rounds of damage. Point this out to them. It's important.

Outside of that - you're getting the occasional "guy on the ground bleeding". That's pretty much perfect: combat has risk.

Kannon

First Post
What do people think about allowing Potions of Healing (etc) to grant their effects without expending healing surges?

Unless they were less than an actual surge, I'd lean heavily against it. The healing surges work pretty well, and unless they're running hard for long periods of time, they'll want to stop to use more dailies long before they're out of surges.

Now, if you have a low-surge striker that is getting the crap kicked out of them, maybe drop hints and a ritual book (or scrolls) for comrade's succor. Still using the surges and have to manage them, but they can shift them a bit.

My problem was them not able to spend enough surges and being out of commission for a combat from a bad roll. That's easy enough to fix with a high DC heal check as a standard to let an unconscious ally spend a healing surge and get up. The paladin picked up healer's gift this level, so I think I got the balance right.

MonkeyMage

First Post
The big issue I ran into was our leader only has 8 surges and our two defenders have 12/13. So by the 3rd-4th fight, the leader is out of surges and drops. Now by the rules, there is literally no way of bringing her back. Every method of revival depends on having a HS to spend.

I was thinking of leaving the Potions of Healing at 10 (which is equal or less than everyone's HSV) and increasing the cost to 100 or 150. Given that the higher Potions grant a lot more HP and free saving throws, I'll leave those needing a HS to use.

Also, in conjunction with the thread about encouraging a longer adventuring day, I'm granting +2 Healing Surges at each Milestone.

Kannon

First Post
Yeah, I'd make sure it's known that the leader needs to disengage, and letting the healer disengage.

If it continues to be a problem, I'd (as a last resort), maybe come up with an (expensive) item that would bring someone up to fixed HP from dying, no surge. Hopefully, they'd get the hint.

TheClone

First Post
The big issue I ran into was our leader only has 8 surges and our two defenders have 12/13. So by the 3rd-4th fight, the leader is out of surges and drops. Now by the rules, there is literally no way of bringing her back. Every method of revival depends on having a HS to spend.

I was thinking of leaving the Potions of Healing at 10 (which is equal or less than everyone's HSV) and increasing the cost to 100 or 150. Given that the higher Potions grant a lot more HP and free saving throws, I'll leave those needing a HS to use.

Also, in conjunction with the thread about encouraging a longer adventuring day, I'm granting +2 Healing Surges at each Milestone.

I just stepped on the level 1 ritual (healing but no check required) named "Comrades' Succor". You can transfer any number of healing surges from up to five people to one other person at the cost of one surge. This'll just do what you want, I think. It helps your leader but it not totally for free so may impose a learning effect. And it's totally house rule free. Takes 5 mins and costs 10 gp per use. Buying it costs 150 gp.

Remove ads