Raising Hell! Isn't it time for a mega-adventure featuring Hell?!

rounser

First Post
Eh....

The current fashion of fascination with the planes and cthulhu elements and the various soap operas of the gods leaves me cold. Smacks of cheap novelty and jadedness. Do a mega-adventure on the prime material right, without selling it short by pretending that megadungeons are all there is to do, then think about hell.

There's so much more to the Forgotten Realms than limiting the scope to lousy drow kicking around in the underdark, for instance...it's almost insulting to that setting to focus on them so much when a decent campaign adventure on the surface (with the occasional dungeon delve) hasn't yet been made.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Leopold said:
SHARKS new module is 20+ level and features Hell! What else could you possibly ask for?!?!??!??!

For 20th+ level PCs? Is this book coming out after the ELH hits the SRD or does it include its own "epic" variants (since the ELH is off limits right now)?

Grazzt said:

For 20th+ level PCs? Is this book coming out after the ELH hits the SRD or does it include its own "epic" variants (since the ELH is off limits right now)?

The word I got from Morrus when I first scanned the manuscript was that it was aimed for 20th level PCs, not 20+ (although it could be easily scaled for those more epic campaigns).

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
In my younger days one of my friends in my group created a mega-adventure called "A Step into Hell" inwhich we had to go through each level of Hell till we had to face Asmodeus in order to save a character's soul, lost in pulling too many cards from a Deck of Many Things and getting the Void card. We never got through the first level but that was because we graduated High School and went our separate ways.

I'd like to see another mega-adventure to Hell. IMO one can't go to Hell too many times. It's getting out that's the real problem.

The Serge

First Post
rounser said:
Eh....

The current fashion of fascination with the planes and cthulhu elements and the various soap operas of the gods leaves me cold. Smacks of cheap novelty and jadedness. Do a mega-adventure on the prime material right, without selling it short by pretending that megadungeons are all there is to do, then think about hell.

There's so much more to the Forgotten Realms than limiting the scope to lousy drow kicking around in the underdark, for instance...it's almost insulting to that setting to focus on them so much when a decent campaign adventure on the surface (with the occasional dungeon delve) hasn't yet been made.

I agree with your latter statement. There are many great surface adventures waiting to happen and it's a shame that, for whatever reason, no one's bothered to try... except for me. I have my own mega-adventure that I've been writing that takes place on the surface.

As for your first paragraph. Well, I agree with the second point. However, I don't know about the "cheap novelty and jadedness" (although that's a great sentence :)). So far, there have been no huge multiple modules featuring Devils or any of the Lords of the Nine. We've had our fill with evil gods and Demons (Tharizdun, Lolth, Zuggtymoy, Iuz, Vecna)... but no one seems capable or interested in dealing with arguably the most dangerous, insideous evil Outsiders: Devils. That's the gist of my argument.

And who says that the entire adventure has to be subterranean? These are Devils. They manipulate laws, make order work for them, and seek to damn as many people as possible. Political intrigue would be the way to go, particularly once the PCs reach 10th level. There would be a lot of city and wilderness encounters, as well as the obligatory (and I daresay, necessary) "dungeon" encounters.

I'm getting more goosebumps... :D

Falcmir

First Post
The campaign I'm about to start deals with hell quite extensively.

I want to do something along the lines of an Armageddon, Ragnarok, end of the world kind of game where the gates to hell will break open and floods of demons and devils will break loose across the planes destroying everything.

I want to intertwine it with a plotline revolving around gods, something like Norse mythology where Balder is sent to Hel because of Loki's treachery. I want to give the characters opportunities to 'go to hell' as it were in an attempt to free the betrayed god and hopefully put a stop to Ragnarok before it comes about.

The trick is to have something related for the characters to do at low levels that will get them interested in what happens later on.

Remove ads