• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rake: Clarification on useage

Nebrok

First Post
In the 3.5 Monster Manual here are creatures (lion, tiger, etc...) that get rake attacks.

It states that a Dire Lion can pounce, I quote, "If a dire lion charges, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks."

For Improved Grab it states that is can start a grapple with out AOO when it hits with a claw attack. I quote, "If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can rake."

Here's the question: Since it doesn't say exactly how many rakes attacks it gets on a successful grapple, how many rake DOES it get when grappling?

Gansk

Explorer
Rake attacks usually come in pairs - they represent attacks from the hind legs of the creature.

Normally, when a creature attacks while grappling, it is limited to one attack at -4 to hit AC. If the grapple came as a result of an improved grab, then the one attack comes from the appendage that grabbed the victim. Rake attacks are the exception to this rule. So a lion should be able to attack three times while grappling, once with a claw and twice with its hind legs. The rake attacks do not incur the normal -4 penalty.

Note that grapplers can choose instead to use opposed grapple checks to do damage. Rake attacks do not apply when a creature uses this option. The number of opposed grapple checks are based on the creature's BAB - they function like iterative attacks.

This is simply my interpretation of the 3.5 rules. There is a lot of a debate over grappling and the rules are vague when it applies to creatures.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads