• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rakshasas, Crossbow Bolts and you

Codragon

First Post
Thanks to clockworkjoe and his "Insanely Dangerous" thread for sparking this one.

Several questions for yall....

What is it with Rakshasas being able to be killed instantly by a hit from a blessed crossbow bolt? I can't think of any other monster with a similiar "insta-kill" vulnerability. I know its been in the game for a while, but what sparked its inclusion? Indian mythology?

Why only blessed crossbow bolts? A rakshasa is TOTALLY immune to nearly all spells but not a blessed piece of wood? What's with the crossbow bolts, anyway? Why won't a blessed arrow do the trick? Even a blessed +5 holy avenger won't do anything above its normal capabilities. Where's the logic here?

And to take it a step further: Why don't other monsters have similiar weaknesses? Has anyone modified existing monsters so that they do? Makes for an interesting campaign. I also see nothing wrong with house-ruling monster weaknesses out the door (eg, Rakshasas, trolls) and replacing them with different weaknesses to keep players on their toes....

Voadam

Legend
Rakshasas are from indian myth but I don't know the backstory on their crossbow bolt vulnerability except that it has been there since 1e.

I did here about a game once where a werewolf would regenerate from any wound except for a single type of rose which would instant kill it.

Look to horror and folklore for similar ultimate weakness of terrifying monster situations. Gurps Fantasy II Madlands had really tough monsters with individual specific weaknesses that would instant kill them.

Painfully

First Post
I'll let the quotes speak for themselves. Here is an excerpt from another website,

In the Tal region we find a vampire-like demon known as the rakshasa. They lurked in cemeteries and disrupted the devotions of the faithful. They did have long fangs and could appear in the form of human or animal. Various text have described them as asra-pa or asrk-pa (literally: blood drinkers) and like the lamiai of Greek Mythology, they sought pregnant female victims and were known to attack infants. Agni, who dispelled the darkness and officiated the sacrificial rituals was their enemy. The people called on Agni to ward of demons.

Following behind in the rank and file of the underworld are the yatu-dhana, who are closely associated to the rakshasa. These creatures are sorcerers who eat what is left by the rakshasa. Behind them (or under them) is the pisachas, lowly beings that devour raw flesh. They are hideous and blood thirsty ghouls believed to be the source of all malignant disease.

And another,

In Indian folklore, a demon which appears as a black figure with yellow or flaming hair, and wearing a wreath of entrails. Their name literally means "destroyer", and rakshasas are considered to be evil and hostile to mankind. They can take many shapes, including beautiful men and women and animals or birds, such as dogs, vultures and owls. Generally, however, they are monstrous in appearance, with huge bellies, slits for eyes and matted hair. If not black, they are yellow, green or blue.

Rakshasas are nocturnal creatures and have disgusting habits, such as eating human flesh and drinking human blood from the skull. Despite their formidable evil powers, rakshasas, like many demonic beings, are reputed to be dimwitted. According to Indian lore, one may banish them simply by saying 'uncle.'

And one more,

A Rakshasa is a large and powerful demon figure that often causes harm to mortals. Rakshasa homes are generally in wild areas such as forests and faraway islands. They may appear in a number of terrifying forms. Some of their activities include killing humans, and devouring them. Ravana, the king of the Rakshasas was not an entirely evil creature. In the epic Ramayana, he is described as a Brahmin, a scholar, and a poet.

Painfully

First Post
Regarding the idea of throwing a rakshasa against a low level party:

A rakshasa has abilities as a 7th level sorcerer. And since he can read minds as well, I hardly think it's fair--at least not if you play the character properly.

Voadam

Legend
Col Pladoh? Since I believe you wrote the original entry in the MM any explanation for the blessed bolt? Was there a specific story or legend on them we can check out?

Lord Ben

First Post
Painfully said:
Regarding the idea of throwing a rakshasa against a low level party:

A rakshasa has abilities as a 7th level sorcerer. And since he can read minds as well, I hardly think it's fair--at least not if you play the character properly.

The trick is to make them have limited use spells. One with Haste and Fireball will probably decimate a 1st level party. One who uses divination spells primarily to advance his evil merchants guild really isn't that tough.

Chimera

First Post
But why should the "blessed crossbow bolt" bit be common knowledge? Geez, that would be kind of like having Holy Water and Stakes for sale at the Quickie Mart in the Buffyverse. Vampires would no longer stand a chance against the basic commoner.

By having it common knowledge that a 1st level cleric with a crossbow can kill the toughest Rakshasa with one shot, you completely pull the teeth on what should be a powerful monster and make them (quite literally) a joke.

Painfully

First Post
The way I would use a rakshasa is as a political figure already in power or with some prestige. His followers might actively cover for him or carry out his wishes but the rakshasa himself would rarely be seen.

A mind-reading creature SHOULD be able to manipulate his way into power in most situations, especially as a gypsy fortuneteller or such. He might be a traveling dignitary or advisor to a lord (possibly even a good lord).

I've personally considered using a rakshasa druid that maintains control of a dark (evil) forest. I was initially concerned over the spell immunity as you might have read in the other thread, nevertheless, I am not about to suggest crossbow bolts will slay him. Druids are natural shapeshifters after all :)

And, as the equivilant of a 7th-level sorcerer, any rakshasa worth his whiskers should have the Sor/Wiz 2 spell protection from arrows in his known spells to provide himself with damage reduction 10/+2 against that pesky weakness which is undoubtedly known to him.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads