• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rakshasa's Revenge on my PCs

Dolza

First Post
So my players were helping out a Gnomish community by removing the Rakshasa that had moved into their mines. They were able to take out the delver without too much trouble and then moved on to face the Rakshasa and her mind controled Effreet cohort. Things were going well for the Rakshasa until her side got low on hitpoints at which point she wished that they could would both be healed.

The Efreet went later in the round than the Rakshasa and when it was his turn, instead of taking a 5' step back to safety he just started to fulfill the wish.....at which point he got 4 attacks of opportunity which killed him and left the Rakshasa a little worried. A round or so later, one of the PCs hits the Rakshasa for enough damage to set off her contingency teleporting her to safety.

So my question is this, how would the Rakshasa get back at the my PCs? They looted the bodyguard and took all the valuables from her lair. She's going to be upset and want to strike back at them. From what i've read, Rakshasas aren't one for direct confrontation and i want to give the players a good scare. She rightly wants revenge since they PCs cost her so much in the way of a good slave and nice equipment she had purchased for him. How would she acomplish this?

She had some time to use detect thoughts on the party while they were getting ready for the fight so she knows names and some nominal background information on the party.

thanks for any suggestions!

dolza

Last edited:

John Morrow

First Post
Dolza said:
So my question is this, how would the Rakshasa get back at the my PCs? They looted the bodyguard and took all the valuables from her lair. She's going to be upset and want to strike back at them. From what i've read, Rakshasas aren't one for direct confrontation and i want to give the players a good scare. She rightly wants revenge since they PCs cost her so much in the way of a good slave and nice equipment she had purchased for him. How would she acomplish this?

Flood the mines while they are still in them (if they haven't already exited), by opening up a link to an underground river. Insert some underground aquatic monsters from the underground river who get sucked into the mine as it floods. Leave air pockets, of course, and play it like The Poseidon Adventure dungeon as they try to get out without drowning or suffocating. If they have ways for the while party to breathe underwater, then be more stingy about the air pockets and add some swift currents and collapsed ceilings.

ghettognome

First Post
She could kidnap someone of importance to the character/s. She knows a little about them, I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to find someone closely linked to one or all of the characters. :) I did something like this once and it led to quite an adventure in recovery.

As they say, revenge is a dish best served cold. Have her come back several sessions later (at a minimum) when the PC's aren't expecting it - perhaps leveled up, re-equipped with new items and servants. If you want to be a real rat-bastard, throw her at them when they have just finished another adventure, and they are low on resources, and their guard is down...

cmanos

First Post
exactly, have the players fight their way through a very nasty dungeon, and exit, exhausted, only to find an ambush. Somewhere yesterday, I thought it was on the Wizards site, I thought I saw new minions for the Lords of Dust from Ebberon. May have been The Korranburg Chronicle. Once they survive the attack, they find their camp has been trashed, their horses scattered, their food and water defiled. They get back to town and they find that someone has got there before them and started spreading rumors about them and has framed them for several crimes.

Rakshasa's are devious. They won't walk into a fight they know they can't win. They'll send other s to do that and then proceed to make life very uncomfortable for the characters.

Rakshasa can disguise themselves and pretend to be anyone. She could completely sully their names, Kill/sell into slavery the pc's entire families. Do the pc's keep their money in a bank? She could take it all and use it to hire groups to hound the pc's. With enough time after she has completly destroyed the pc's reputation she could get them banished from the kingdom under penalty of death.

Dolza

First Post
Great ideas!

Thanks to everyone! I've got some ideas now as to how to harrass the players. They're about to leave the Gnomes and head to one of the PCs home towns. that should make things interesting for the group.

I think she'll end up doing both main ideas here.....hiring out some help to take out the PCs and try to drag their names through the mud in their respective towns. I need to get home to write all this down and then figure out which PCs to hurt the most!

dolza

Endur

First Post
If the Rakshasha really dislikes one PC in particular, you can have her impersonate the PC. Perhaps even going so far as to kidnap the PC when the PC is all alone, then replace the PC and adventure with the party for several adventures.

You don't have to tell any of the characters. Just every once in a while, have the PC act as the Rakshasha would. Maybe the party will think their fellow PC is under mind control, never guessing that their friend has been replaced.

Alternatively, the Rakshasha can pretend to be a local lord and put out a warrant for the arrest of the PCs, etc., etc.

Remove ads