• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ran a game for my son

Gog

First Post
Just ran a "game" for my 5 year old. Yesterday he asked his mom where I was and she told him playing Dungeons & Dragons. He asked what that was and was told to ask me. So today he picked out a mini and we had several epic battles.

He almost died several times but some how managed to survive and defeat the bad guys every time :). His addition got better in the hour and a little bit we played. Subtraction needs some work but really I've gamed with adults that weren't much better. He loved using his "magination" to fight the bad guys. Lots of back flips and rolling around involved in killing the bad guys. Lots of yelling and growling on his part too.

Oh he decided on a half-orc babrbarian and he totaly dumped the int, wis and cha. Kids nothing but a power gamer.

Festivus

First Post
Perhaps using glass beads to do the addition / subtraction would help if it's a problem at the game table (unless your aim was to have him practice traditional arithmatic).

My 3 year old is always curious about the "guys" (minis), and knows several creatures by name ("Bullet" be pronounces "boo-way") He's not ready for advanced role play but we have done some pretend with the "guys" having mock battles where he describes what the "heroes" are doing to the bad guys ("putting them in jail")

Gog

First Post
Perhaps using glass beads to do the addition / subtraction would help if it's a problem at the game table (unless your aim was to have him practice traditional arithmatic).

My 3 year old is always curious about the "guys" (minis), and knows several creatures by name ("Bullet" be pronounces "boo-way") He's not ready for advanced role play but we have done some pretend with the "guys" having mock battles where he describes what the "heroes" are doing to the bad guys ("putting them in jail")

I hadn't thought of the beads, I'll do that next time. I think it would definatly help with the subtraction, he's got the addition down. About half way through he even remembered his AC, hit and damage bonuses and adding them to his roll pretty quick.

It was fun hearing him describe what he did and flip the mini all around, etc. I'm doing it with him to have fun but no reason I can't use it to teach him math a little better. He gets bored doing flash cards etc.

Rhun

First Post
Sounds awesome! I hope on of these days that I have a child and can get him or her involved in the game as well.

jdcash

First Post
That is pretty awesome. Over the past couple of months, my son (who turned 4 yesterday) and I play the "dice game", as he puts it. Sometimes it is more game and less dice and that is fine. He picks out minis and we each start out with the same number of dice. It is straight d20 vs. d20 and the loser has to get rid of a dice. WHen you get to zero, you lose.

It has helped with numbers and concepts like greater than and less than. The neat thing to me though is that he is learning that it is OK to share the winning and that rules have to be followed for both of us to have fun. I am looking forward to this progressing as he grows up.

Similkameen

First Post
I've DM'd my sons' in games and their friends for years now. It's bliss now as I get added to their games.
They didn't start D and D til more like 11 years old though. Most of the earlier interest is pouring through the monster manuals, and playing "quest" games which have an entirely oral game, where the 9 year old DM paints a story for the gamers who tell him what they do.

I didn't so much see the element mentioned here, of helping with math skills. But it sure was important as they learned to work as a team, especially those of them who weren't into any team sports. It was interesting too as they rotated being party leader. They learned lots about themselves.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads