• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random character generation and tailored encounters

FireLance

Legend
I like resource allocation based character generation systems because they give me greater control over the final character, and characters created with such systems tend to be more balanced with each other. However, random character generation has the advantage of creating more memorable and unique characters. Offhand, I'd say that my ideal character generation system would be 80% choice and 20% random.

But, I would like to do some dice rolling. Anyone know a rolling system with less luck than the standard 4d6 roll7 times that I usually use?
One approach I've considered is to use a point buy system or an ability score array to generate initial ability scores, then roll 3d6 in order. If the result of the random roll is greater than the initially allocated ability score, then the random roll is used instead. This system assures everyone of a safety net (you can't get worse than the initial point buy/ability score array) but it is likely you will be better off somewhere, possibly in an area that you would not normally have allocated a good ability score to. The downside of this approach is that if your starting point buy system/ability score array is standard for the game, you are likely to end up with characters that are more powerful than the default game assumptions.

Simm

First Post
Remember that in battletech an increase in weight is not always an increase in power (charger I'm looking at you). Also you could intentionally take an antiquated mech. The 3025 era Atlas AS7-D is relatively lightly armed for it's hundred tons and has a battle value less than some more modern heavies. This is especially true if you have access to clan tech. So you could avoid the more powerful machines and try a weaker or more specialized assault mech.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What do you think of tailored vs. status quo gaming, and random character generation?

Well, part of what you noted is a bit game specific. Most "random" character generation doesn't randomly assign the equivalent of character level. That throws off the comparison to other game, and of the methods in general.

Status quo gaming has disadvantages. In its purest form, the PCs have a pretty decent chance of going after things that are either too tough, or too easy for them - early on in the campaign it is more likely the former, late in the game more likely the latter.

Tailored gaming, taken to the extreme, has every encounter made to fit the PCs like spandex.

In practical terms, the best is somewhere in the middle - where the GM has some elements that are too tough or too weak for the character, but generally builds the plots that the PCs want to follow to generally challenge them.

I prefer random (or at lest semi-random) character generation. But that's because I prefer to build characters within a framework of some restrictions. "Blue sky" character generation brings out less creativity in me, rather than more.

Remove ads