• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random ENcounters

Read the first post before voting!

• Yes, It's a GOOD IDEA (TM)

Votes: 44 78.6%
  • NO, Beer is out of his mind!

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 5 8.9%

Cold Beer

First Post
I've been thinking lately about starting a regular series of posts here that gives examples of different random encounters that could be used in any standard D&D game. My focus would be to write up a random encounter that would be challenging to parties of 3 to 6 characters of levels 1 to 10 and have the community give feedback to these generic scenarios.

For example, my first Random ENcounter would be the "Ambushed by Orcs" scenario. I would provide basic guidelines for it, draw a map to fit a battle mat, and sprinkle it with treasure and goodies.

What do you think? Is this something you could use in your campaign? Is it a resource worth working on?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I'd like to see it. I think that a lot of people don't like random encounters, but I do...

Let's see what you can come up with!

Crothian

First Post
Most Random Encounters are too random. I've seen some with Cr 3 and cr8 on the same chart. Plus it's to much work for the DM. THey have no entrance. With the chart one nneds to desribe how this encounter should start.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Sounds like a great idea CB. I always try to have a good bunch of 'random' encounters written up beforehand. I place them in during long travelling esisodes to liven them up (not all of them are combat related either - simple things like a PC's horse tossing a shoe, or finding a trunk of clothes can lead to all sorts of neat side adventures).

Keep us posted on developments.

Carnifex

First Post
I've written a series of random encounter stat blocks with encounter suggestions for Sigil, the City of Doors - for instance, a Harmonium patrol, an Anarchist saboteur team and a mob, along with some others - which may turn up in a future ps3e project. Each type of encounter has a brief description of the guys involved, how many there are, then the stat blocks, then suitable set-up scenarios. I did it in the first place mainly so I had something I could refer to just to knock up a gang of thugs or Harmonium patrolmen in case the party ended up in a situation that called for it. Generally however, I have all the encounters planned out ahead of time.

smetzger

Explorer
Yes, its a good idea. Look at some of the web enhancements from WOTC on how to do this. For instance there is a weapon master one, a ravager one, and a gnoll from forgotten realms.

A couple of things that would be helpful. Definantly include an EL calculation for the encounter. It would be nice to also have multiple stats for the creatures over a range of EL. Not all encounters should be violant or even with creatures. Include city encounters. Be sure to include what languages the creatures speak. Also, combat tactics is important. This is especially important for spell casters. It would be extremly useful and I wish more authors would post a recomended order that spells are cast.

I would be interested in posting a link to this in the Adventure Guide. So let me know when you have something tangible.

*:> Scott

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Personally, I would expect to find very little use for your encounters.

But, on that odd occasion when I did, it would probably be because it inspired something truly worthwhile.

IOW, I voted Yep GO FOR IT (TM).

Last edited:

Remove ads