Random Nation Generator

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
I've added a "raw resources" category which lists raw materials the country might import or export, such as ores, livestock, and so forth - basically, anything that doesn't require much in the way of processing is appropriate for this category. And the individual entries for such resources don't have to be boring, as the entry for acacia hopefully proves.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
I've added counters which list how many "seed entries" exist for the individual categories. Here is the current count:

Type of Government: 1
Major Races/Species: 13
Significant Creatures: 39
Cultural Influences: 48
Type of Worship: 0
Worshiped Entities: 9
Powerful Organizations: 24
Major Projects: 20
Major Personalities: 21
Major Political Issues: 85
Dominant Terrain: 10
Raw Resources: 4
Famous Locations: 58
History: 21

Remember - you can add your own generator seeds to the wiki!

I just figured out what Jurgen is talking about . . . go to his site (links below) and on the right, under tools, you can randomly generate a country. I got Burma with Heimdall and a standoff with a cult in a cave, with the Hundred Years War in its history . . . kinda fun, not sure what I'd use it for. Might be good for a sci fi scenario about travelling planet to planet, I suppose.

You can refresh and get new random results.

Mercule

Adventurer
If you haven't already looked at it, check out "Aria: Worlds", if you can find it. It's basically 280 pages of random nation generation.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
I just figured out what Jurgen is talking about . . . go to his site (links below) and on the right, under tools, you can randomly generate a country. I got Burma with Heimdall and a standoff with a cult in a cave, with the Hundred Years War in its history . . . kinda fun, not sure what I'd use it for. Might be good for a sci fi scenario about travelling planet to planet, I suppose.

Of course, you don't have to use all those elements literally - just use them as inspiration. I mean, take the Forgotten Realms, which has all sorts of realms inspired by real world history (the most blatant being Mulhorand). So if the generator comes up with, say, France as a source of cultural inspiration, you don't need to use the actual France in your setting - just use some French elements to give your nation some distinct flavor. The same goes for the dominant deities of the nation - if you come up with "Heimdall", you can use a deity with similar characteristics.

In my view, the whole point of the Arcana Wiki is to use real world stuff as an inspiration for gaming. The Random Nations Generator is thus also intended as a source of inspiration - a starting point for your own ideas.

Orius

Legend
Yes, some of the results are decidedly...random. I just rolled up a nation based on Saudi Arabia inhabited by Bigfoot that worships Santa Claus. :confused: And we need more natural resources, they're all coming up sheep, acacia, and whales (going to see if I can add a few things there).

Remove ads