• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random or assigned magic?

STARP_JVP

First Post
OK. Here's one.
When you're assigning magic items to your players, do you roll randomly on the table or assign them whatever you want? Or are you one of those trusting types who actually let their players pick them?

Li Shenron

Legend
At character creation, the players always get to choose of course.
During the campaign, items in treasure and items in shops are usually random (but I don't actually roll on the table), except when the items come directly from an opponent's equipment, which is chosen.

Imret

First Post
At character creation, they can pick most of their wealth total, though a certain amount of wealth I'll still assign them. PCs find all kinds of things in their travels.

During the campaign, treasure hoards and enemy equipment are -largely- random, but I'll always select a few items that interest me or the players, and almost always one unique item I've whipped up on the spot.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When you're assigning magic items to your players, do you roll randomly on the table or assign them whatever you want? Or are you one of those trusting types who actually let their players pick them?

That would depend on:

1) Level of the PC being created

2) Magic level of the campaign (low vs high)

3) How well I know the players

4) How experienced the players are

5) The amount of effort the player put into designing his PC and fleshing out its background

Shemeska

Adventurer
I generally assign things ahead of time. Typically that results in more stuff for the PCs half the time, and the items are ten times more interesting, they fit in the context of where they're found, as opposed to random stuff, etc.

I think I've only rolled on a random table perhaps four or five times in as many years. To say I take a dim view of random generation of monsters or treasure is an understatement.

Zappo

Explorer
Shemeska said:
I generally assign things ahead of time. Typically that results in more stuff for the PCs half the time, and the items are ten times more interesting, they fit in the context of where they're found, as opposed to random stuff, etc.

I think I've only rolled on a random table perhaps four or five times in as many years. To say I take a dim view of random generation of monsters or treasure is an understatement.
Same here, though I take care not to put too much stuff in there.

DonTadow

First Post
During character creation, the character picks 9 times out of 10. There are rare times when I'm doing a "favor" for hte PC *such as one character wanted to redesign her character * in which I'll assign items to explain the transformation.

The remainder of the time I roll on a random treasure chart. Usuualy its just mundane stuff. Now, even more so, it will be non-magical items and treasure.

Remove ads