Random questions about random abilities and rulings

FEADIN

Explorer
Does not use your save DC if it is an item. That's how items work.

Unless you take the (non epic) feat in the Epic LH that let's you use your stat as a modificator when creating a magical object, you have to select a Magical Item creation feat to apply.

kyonu

First Post
I looked at the Epic LH and the only Item Creation feat there is in the Epic area; the non-epic feats don't have anything to do with creating magic items, or using your stat mod for items...

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
*Shrug* I allow PCs to use their own casting stat to set DCs for the items they make.

I don't know, a lot of people on the internet claim that the item creation feats are super-powerful and whatnot. IME, they're seldom taken; PCs generally get the all the gear they could want as soon as it becomes affordable to them; and there's seldom enough downtime to churn out tons of items like a factory, you're lucky to get 5 days to work on a sword.

kyonu

First Post
*Shrug* I allow PCs to use their own casting stat to set DCs for the items they make.

I don't know, a lot of people on the internet claim that the item creation feats are super-powerful and whatnot. IME, they're seldom taken; PCs generally get the all the gear they could want as soon as it becomes affordable to them; and there's seldom enough downtime to churn out tons of items like a factory, you're lucky to get 5 days to work on a sword.

Which is why we generally start with premade equipment. My level 15 Duelist has a powerful weapon, (Rapier +1, Speed) that gives him an extra attack, which right now is a 23, so he has a 23/23/18/13 attack, and then I use that estra attack for a Parry/Riposte every turn.

But I figured, if instead of Speed, I could add negative drains on the weapon, such as stacking Con damage, to make them lose extra hit points, or die from hitting 0 con. (Any book is open for feats, except EAG books.) Hell, even multi-strength loss, to keep them from whacking us too hard. Having me hit them nearly every round with multi-stacking ability damage effects, they'd go down fairly quickly.

kyonu

First Post
If they make the item, then it uses their DC, but I was under the impression that the OP was having the item made by someone else.

This is a correct statement, as my Duelist cannot cast spells or make items. I don't know how our DM would rule a "purchased" item at this cost, but there is a caster in the party with the know-how to make such items, also at level 15. I may have the DM houserule that it was that party member who made it.

Remove ads