• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random Spell Generator

Zarthon

Explorer
Greetings all,

Im looking for a random spell/spellbook generator. Does anyone know where I can find one. I have managed to find some for AD&D but I cannot find any for d20.

I have to put together some 15th level Npc magic users, and I really dont feel like chooseing spells for all of them.

Many thanks

Thanee

First Post
Only thing that's similar (not quite what you are looking for, tho) are the example spellbooks from the Tome and Blood webenhancement.

Altho, now that I think about it... some NPC generator had the ability to make up spells/spellbooks for NPC casters... Jamie Buck's NPC Generator?

Bye
Thanee

Zarthon

Explorer
Thanee said:
Only thing that's similar (not quite what you are looking for, tho) are the example spellbooks from the Tome and Blood webenhancement.

Altho, now that I think about it... some NPC generator had the ability to make up spells/spellbooks for NPC casters... Jamie Buck's NPC Generator?

Bye
Thanee

Thanks Thanee, the only problem is that Jamie Bucks NPC Generator does not do cleric spells, it only tells you how many of each level the cleric gets

Thanee

First Post
Hmm... ok... choosing spells from among the available is a bit more than those do...

Well, when it comes to DMing spellcaster NPCs, do it like me... don't choose spells... just use what seems appropriate in the situation (and is likely to have been prepared)! ;)

I only actually specify spells beforehand for major NPC sorcerers (and bards).

Other than that, you could use the forum to randomly generate a sample spell list. Just make a post with a few details about the NPC in question, and I'm sure some people are willing to reply with a complete set of prepared spells! :)

Bye
Thanee

Someone

Adventurer
You don´t need a spellbook, learned or prepared spells for every spellcaster that appears in your game. Just a collection of generic spells for each class at various levels, leaving half or so of the spots blank.

For example, a level 5 blaster mage could have prepared magic missilex2, burning hands, shield, scorching ray, shatter, fireball and fly. In a moment, you could fill the remaining spots with other spells or ignore them, supposing they are already spent of filled with unuseful spell (like Repare Roof or Cure Serious Wart)

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
By the way, the 3.5 MM has prepared spells for many spellcasting monsters. You could use them if they fit your needs.

Zarthon

Explorer
Someone said:
By the way, the 3.5 MM has prepared spells for many spellcasting monsters. You could use them if they fit your needs.

Unfortunatly we are still playing 3e, the group as a whole decided to wait till the beginning of next year to start with 3.5. (Someting about the books been really expensive and waiting for our 13th cheque)

Thanee

First Post
You might still be able to obtain that information from the 3.5 SRD, if it is of any help (see rules forum for a link).

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads