• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random thought on advantage/disadvantage.

B.T.

First Post
Haven't played yet so can't say how this would work out in practice (depends on how often advantage/disadvantage comes around), but I'm thinking the following might be nifty.

• 2+ (net) sources of advantage is an auto-success unless you roll a 1.
• 2+ (net) sources of disadvantage is an auto-failure unless you roll a 20.

Thoughts?

Traken

First Post
Nope. Entirely too much time would be taken up trying to come up with any advantage or mitigating disadvantages.

What do you mean I auto-fail when trying to walk across the rigging of a ship in 50' waves in a storm while having arrows shot at me? I have a 10' pole to balance, I'm wearing ballet shoes, and I have a background as a circus performer!

slobster

Hero
If you're keeping track of separate sources of advantage and applying a cumulative advantage, I would just stack them on top of each other. So with two sources of advantage you'd be rolling three dice and taking the best, and so on. It accomplishes a scaling effect that is more granular, but as far as I can tell no more annoying to keep track of, than your example.

There's another thread around somewhere with some math about how such a system would play out.

just did the math.

advantage means a +5 bonus if you had a 50% chance to hit and it is usually +3 to +4

allowing more rerolls will get you up to near 100% very fast. You could just give autohit on 3rd advantage.

Last edited:

Remove ads