• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random Treasure Tables...

Burn_Boy

First Post
...or rather a lack thereof.

I got a copy of the GameMastery Guide over the weekend and as I was reading through it I was amazed by all the tables. They have tables for almost everything. Using the tables in it, you can create a full dungeon crawl, essentially an entire gaming session in about ten minutes. Well, you almost can.

Use the tables and build dungeons, quest hooks, NPCs and a dozen other things to turn a session into a real world but it all falls down when it comes times to doll out the treasure.

The 3.5 DMG had a table on it that told you how to roll for treasure depending on enemy CR , how many items, magic stuff, gems, art etc. and then you could go to the magic item stuff, roll some dice and then let your player revel in their decadence.

However, as far as I can tell, there is no random treasure table in the GMG or the Core Rulebook so I'm forced to ask... what the f**k?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Random treasure is a real problem, at least if you care about "balance" (I don't; I had my 9th level party find an Orb of Dragonkind). If "gear" is integral to character power balance, including "challenge rating" which in turn determines treasure, then random treasure has the same potential to disrupt that balance as, say, random feat acquisition might. This is one thing I really wish PF would have fixed: the integral nature of gear in the 3.5 balance scheme.

Remove ads