• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ranged attacks from behind a corner/an object

EvanNave55

Explorer
I'll answer with a question. If you and your buddies were playing paintball in the woods, and they were hiding behind trees that provided 3/4 cover, would you be confident that you'd see them all before somebody shot you?

To my mind, yes, 3/4 cover is more than enough depending on the circumstances. Have you ever seen a deer run into the woods, and then have trouble spotting it for a few seconds, only to determine it was right there and fairly visible? Why? Misdirection, I think. Your eyes continue in the direction you think the deer is heading, and it either stops or changes direction. The partial concealment created by the woods is more than enough to do the trick. It's happened to me.

And again, I still recommend that anybody who hasn't watched the video to count basketball passes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY

For a significant portion of the population, even 0 concealment/cover is sufficient.

Check out any statistics regarding people having accidents while looking at their phone too. Pretty much always involving things with no cover/concealment.

Again, considering the rules - it's not a question of being hidden, but being unseen at a moment in time.
I just wanted to say I enjoy these sorts of things and videos discussing why this happens and how the brain works (such as the TV show brain games).

Also wanted to say I kept track of the basketball passes, and still managed to notice all but the color change from the other parts.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I just wanted to say I enjoy these sorts of things and videos discussing why this happens and how the brain works (such as the TV show brain games).

Also wanted to say I kept track of the basketball passes, and still managed to notice all but the color change from the other parts.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Nice. My daughter and I loved Brain Games. Yeah, the percentage of people that notice is something like 60 to 80%, although if you know that it's something more than just counting, you probably have a better chance of noticing things.

The reality to me is that there's a significant chance that you might not notice something. If so, then it's reasonable to allow somebody to try something, perhaps with a penalty. And that goes both ways.

I once watched a guy at work who walked into the low concrete barrier pole. The ones he walked by at least twice daily on his way in and out of work. It was cold, a bit windy, and was trying to light a cigarette at the same time. What made it even funnier is I didn't actually see it, I heard it. From where I was standing, a pillar blocked my view of him actually walking into it.

Remove ads